Monument record MLI90663 - Settlement of Threekingham


The settlement of Threekingham is first mentioned in the Domesday Book and survives to the present day

Type and Period (3)

Protected Status/Designation

  • None recorded

Full Description

PRN 64871 Threekingham is first mentioned in the Domesday Book. At this time, the land there was divided between numerous owners or tenants - the Bishop of Durham, Saint Benedict of Ramsey, Gilbert de Gand, Colsuain, Odo the Arblaster, Guy of Craon and Ulviet, a thegn of the king. There was a minimum population of 16 sokemen, 16 villeins and 12 bordars. Two churches (St Peter's - PRN 64504 and St Mary's - PRN 64870) and a market worth 40 shillings are also mentioned. {1} The place name Threekingham includes the Old English elements '-ingas' - 'the family or dependants of' and 'ham' - 'a homestead, an estate' but there is no Germanic personal name which would fit the forms and it is possible that the 'Tric' element comes from a British personal name. {2} There was a popular local story that the origin of the name came from the three Danish kings who were allegedly buried in the village following a (probably spurious) battle between Danes and Saxons in 870 (see PRN 64065), but this has been generally dismissed. {9} The Lay Subsidy of 1334 records Threekingham's wealth as £5 3s 8d, slightly below average for its wapentake (Aveland). {3} A market and a fair were granted to Lambert de Trikyngham by Edward III in 1328. The market was to be held on a Thursday and the fair on the feast of Peter & Paul (29th June), both at the Manor. It has been suggested the market mentioned in the Domesday Book (see above) was actually held at Stow Green (see PRN 64972). {10} The Diocesan Return of 1563 records 31 households resident in the village. {4} By the late 17th-early 18th century there were 30 or 31 families living in the village. {5} By 1801 there were 127 people living at Threekingham, rising to 207 by 1811 before falling to 155 by 1901. {6} Threekingham and its residents from ancient times to the 19th century are discussed briefly by Trollope and extensively by Cragg. {9}{11} White's 'Directory' includes details of the village and its inhabitants in 1856. {12} Ridge and furrow (PRN 64871a) is visible in various fields around the village (TF 0924 3603, TF 0918 3634 and TF 0881 3577). A probable medieval field boundary (PRN 64871b) has also been identified at TF 0910 3597. {7}{8}

Sources/Archives (12)

  •  Bibliographic Reference: C.W. Foster and T. Longley. 1924. Lincolnshire Domesday and Lindsey Survey. 3/55; 10/4; 24/91; 26/42; 48/7; 57/40; 67/11.
  •  Bibliographic Reference: Kenneth Cameron. 1998. A Dictionary of Lincolnshire Place-Names. p 127.
  •  Article in Serial: R.E. Glasscock. 1964. 'The Lay Subsidy of 1334 for Lincolnshire' in Lincolnshire Architectural and Archaeological Society Reports and Papers. vol.10.2, p.123.
  •  Bibliographic Reference: Gerald A.J. Hodgett. 1975. Tudor Lincolnshire. p 192.
  •  Bibliographic Reference: R.E.G. Cole. 1913. Speculum Dioeceseos Lincolniensis sub Episcopis Gul: Wake et Edm: Gibson A.D.1705-1723. Part 1: Archdeaconries of Lincoln and Stow. pp 130.
  •  Bibliographic Reference: William Page (ed). 1906. The Victoria County History: Lincolnshire - Volume 2. p 360.
  •  Map: Royal Commission on the Historical Monuments of England. 1992-1996. National Mapping Programme. TF0835 LI.823.14.1; TF 0935 LI. 823.12.2; TF0936 LI.823.12.1.
  •  Aerial Photograph: 1945-84. CAMBRIDGE UNIVERSITY COLLECTION. NQ55, NQ56, NQ57.
  •  Bibliographic Reference: CRAGG, W.A.. 1913. A History of Threekingham with Stow in Lincolnshire. -.
  •  Website: Letters, Samantha (Dr). 2003. Gazetteer of Markets and Fairs in England and Wales to 1516: Counties and Wales. -.
  •  Bibliographic Reference: Edward Trollope. 1872. Sleaford and the Wapentakes of Flaxwell and Aswardhurn in the County of Lincoln. pp 515-17.
  •  Bibliographic Reference: William White. 1856. History, Gazetteer and Directory of Lincolnshire - Second Edition. pp 723-24.



Grid reference Centred TF 08986 36051 (634m by 729m)

Related Monuments/Buildings (3)

Related Events/Activities (1)

External Links (0)

Record last edited

Mar 21 2021 8:35PM


Your feedback is welcome. If you can provide any new information about this record, please contact us.