Monument record MLI90545 - Settlement of Scredington


The settlement of Scredington is first mentioned in Domesday Book and survives to the present

Type and Period (4)

  • (Early Medieval/Dark Age to Modern - 1000 AD to 2050 AD)
  • (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
  • (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
  • (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)

Protected Status/Designation

Full Description

PRN 64849 [This record includes information from PRNs 61625, 61626, now deleted.] The settlement of Scredington is first mentioned in Domesday Book. Land there belonged to two landowners, Gilbert de Gand and Robert of Stafford, and had a minimum population of 40 and a half sokemen, 2 villeins, Gulfered, Robert's man and a priest. A church is also mentioned. {1} The name Scredington is described as 'a difficult name for which no real suggestion can be made'. {2} The Lay Subsidy of 1334 records the settlement's wealth as £4 7s 7 3/4d, below average for its wapentake (Aswardhurn). {3} Scredington is not mentioned in the Diocesan Return of 1563. {4} By the late 17th/early 18th century, there were approximately 25 families resident in the parish. {5} By 1801, there were 222 people resident in the parish, rising to 397 in 1861 before falling again to 285 by 1901. {6} The village landowners from the medieval period to the 19th century are briefly discussed by Trollope. {14} The village and its residents in 1856 are briefly discussed in White's Directory. {15} An area of medieval village earthworks, including remains of crofts, tofts and roadways, survives around the Hall Close moated site (PRN 60728) and is included within its Scheduling. {7} These earthworks are visible on aerial photographs. {8}{9} The extent of these earthworks and also the ridge and furrow surrounding the village were plotted in the 1960s. {10} The crofts, tofts and ridge and furrow along with various boundaries, enclosures and possible field systems have been identified by the NMP. {16} It has been suggested that some of the footpaths in the village may be of at least medieval date, and may link with the packhorse bridge (PRN 60721). {11}{17} Two sherds of medieval pottery (PRN 64849a) were found during a watching brief at TF 0949 4046. The non-abraded nature of the sherds suggests that they derive from occupational deposits rather than manuring scatters. A late post medieval-modern rubbish pit was also encountered. {12}{13} A hollow way located by the Church at 64849A was 'too steep' to mow in the 1930s/1940s. {18}

Sources/Archives (18)

  •  Bibliographic Reference: C.W. Foster and T. Longley. 1924. Lincolnshire Domesday and Lindsey Survey. 24/104; 59/16.
  •  Bibliographic Reference: Kenneth Cameron. 1998. A Dictionary of Lincolnshire Place-Names. p 108.
  •  Article in Serial: R.E. Glasscock. 1964. 'The Lay Subsidy of 1334 for Lincolnshire' in Lincolnshire Architectural and Archaeological Society Reports and Papers. vol.10.2, p.123.
  •  Bibliographic Reference: Gerald A.J. Hodgett. 1975. Tudor Lincolnshire. Appendix 1.
  •  Bibliographic Reference: R.E.G. Cole. 1913. Speculum Dioeceseos Lincolniensis sub Episcopis Gul: Wake et Edm: Gibson A.D.1705-1723. Part 1: Archdeaconries of Lincoln and Stow. p 109.
  •  Bibliographic Reference: William Page (ed). 1906. The Victoria County History: Lincolnshire - Volume 2. p 360.
  •  Aerial Photograph: 1946-98. RCHME. AII 76; 0005-6EU.
  •  Aerial Photograph: HARTLEY, R.F.R.. 1980-92. LEICESTERSHIRE COUNTY COUNCIL. 3316/9, 24A, 32A, 35A.
  •  Article in Serial: Butler, L.A.S.. 1963. Journal of the British Archaeological Association. Vol. 26 pp.51-78; figs 9, 10.
  •  Correspondence: Porter, John. 2003. Letter about various features in Scredington. -.
  •  Report: Archaeological Project Services. March 2001. Archaeological Watching Brief on Land at Church Lane, Scredington. SCCL00.
  •  Archive: Archaeological Project Services. March 2001. Archaeological Watching Brief on Land at Church Lane, Scredington. LCNCC 2000.145.
  •  Bibliographic Reference: Edward Trollope. 1872. Sleaford and the Wapentakes of Flaxwell and Aswardhurn in the County of Lincoln. pp 433-34.
  •  Bibliographic Reference: William White. 1856. History, Gazetteer and Directory of Lincolnshire - Second Edition. pp 549-50.
  •  Map: Royal Commission on the Historical Monuments of England. 1992-1996. National Mapping Programme. TF0940 LI.828.16, 17, 18, 19.1, 22.2, 23.2; TF0941 LI.828.24.
  •  Article in Serial: Porter, John. 2002. Lincolnshire Past & Present. Vol 47, pp 7-11.
  •  Correspondence: John Porter. 2009. Correspondence regarding Scredington.



Grid reference Centred TF 09484 40629 (666m by 1079m)

Related Monuments/Buildings (6)

Related Events/Activities (5)

External Links (0)

Record last edited

Mar 21 2021 8:35PM


Your feedback is welcome. If you can provide any new information about this record, please contact us.