Monument record MLI43582 - The Gilbertine priory of St Mary, North Ormsby and a post dissolution house


Site of Gilbertine priory and post dissolution house, moats, 18th century garden, medieval settlement and cultivation remains

Type and Period (2)

Protected Status/Designation

Full Description

The Gilbertine priory of St Mary, North Ormsby was founded as a double house between 1148 and 1154 by Gilbert, son of Robert of Ormsby. St Gilbert limited nuns to 100 and canons to 50. Surrendered in 1538 by prior, 5 canons and 9 nuns. The remains of the priory are partly overlain by those of a post medieval house and associated buildings, and also by a modern farmyard and farm buildings, which are excluded from the scheduling although the ground beneath them is included. The earthworks were partially excavated in 1966 when they were found to include structural remains of the conventual buildings and associated features. On the south east side of the present farm buildings are the earthworks of the nuns' cloister. On the east, south and west side of the cloister are the earthworks of ranges of buildings which comprised the nuns' and lay-sisters' accommodation. These include the chapter house, refectory, lay-sisters' quarters, kitchens and so on. On the north side of the nuns' cloister was found evidence for the foundations of the priory church, including the remains of a central wall which divided the nave into two parts longitudinally, forming the nuns' nave and the canons' nave. The priory also had an inner and outer nave. Excluded from the scheduling are the farm buildings and yard at Abbey farm, and all fences; the ground beneath these features is, however, included. The ground beneath the main farmyard area and the buildings which enclose it, covering an area roughly 50m square, is excluded to a depth of 0.5m although the ground below this depth is included. For a detailed description see revised scheduling document 22624. {5}

Sources/Archives (11)

  •  Scheduling Record: HBMC. AM 7. -.
  •  Bibliographic Reference: William Page (ed). 1906. The Victoria County History: Lincolnshire - Volume 2. VOL2,PP195-6.
  •  Bibliographic Reference: D. Knowles and R.N. Hadcock. 1953. Medieval Religious Houses: England and Wales - First Edition. P171.
  •  Index: OS CARD INDEX. NORTH ORMSBY. TF 29 SE:5,1963, FH.
  •  Scheduling Record: ENGLISH HERITAGE. 1996. REVISED SCHEDULING DOCUMENT 22624. MPP 23.
  •  Map: Royal Commission on the Historical Monuments of England. 1992-1996. National Mapping Programme. TF2893: LI.331.2.1-13.
  •  Photograph: NELLER R. 1996. PARISH FILE. NORTH ORMSBY. APRIL 1996.
  •  Aerial Photograph: 1945-84. CAMBRIDGE UNIVERSITY COLLECTION. FO48,49,51,52,1951, .
  •  Aerial Photograph: 1945-84. CAMBRIDGE UNIVERSITY COLLECTION. AFQ11,1962, .
  •  Aerial Photograph: 1945-84. CAMBRIDGE UNIVERSITY COLLECTION. CF152,1978, .
  •  Article in Serial: WHITWELL, J.B.. 1967. 'Archaeological notes for 1966' in Lincolnshire History and Archaeology. Vol 2, page 43.



Grid reference Centred TF 2825 9302 (280m by 187m)

Related Monuments/Buildings (4)

Related Events/Activities (1)

External Links (0)

Record last edited

Mar 21 2021 8:35PM


Your feedback is welcome. If you can provide any new information about this record, please contact us.