Building record MLI22281 - Church of St Mary Magdelene, Gedney


The Church of St Mary Magdelene dates to the early 13th century. It was built on the site of an earlier aisleless Norman church.

Type and Period (4)

Protected Status/Designation

Full Description

The Church of St Mary Magdalene is Early English (the tower dates to about 1230) to Perpendicular, considerably restored in 1890 and 1898. It was built on the site of an aisleless Norman church, and a Norman piscina is preserved at the east end of the north aisle. {1}{2}{3}{4} The church belonged to Crowland Abbey. It has an Early English tower with Perpendicular additions. There are Decorated windows and a six-bay arcaded nave and a Decorated clerestorey. There is some 14th century stained glass in the north aisle, east window. There is a partly Perpendicular font and a Decorated south door with 14th century French ivory set into the door. There is a 15th century effigy of a lady in the south aisle. There is also an alabaster tomb dating to 1605. There is an Early English piscina in the north aisle. Yellow medieval floor tile and two post-medieval brick vaults were found during the installation of a heating system in the church in 1966. The first vault was slightly flooded but contained the remains of several stacked up skeletons and the rotten wood of former coffins. The second vault contained the remains of the wife of a lay rector of the parish. She had died in 1844. {5}{6}{7} The church at Gedney is an example of a church built on an elevation which is clearly an old saltern. {8}{9}{10} Stained glass in this church, some of which is in situ, dates variously to about 1300-1349 (including a Jesse Window), about 1355-70, and to the 14th and 15th centuries. {11} For the full description and the legal address of this listed building please refer to the appropriate List of Buildings of Special Architectural or Historic Interest. {12} On a high tomb-chest at the east end of the south aisle is a very worn and mutilated, Purbeck marble, effigy. The slab is unusually decorated along its concave edge with stiff-leaf foliage. It dates from around 1270 to 1290. It is assumed that the left arm was on the outside of the shield which, if so, is only the second instance of this pose in the country. Gervase Holles recorded an effigy on a tomb chest in the 17th century which may be this effigy. He identified it as Fulko de Oyry, presumably from heraldry that no longer survives. Fulko de Oyry died in about 1282. {13}

Sources/Archives (13)

  •  Index: Ordnance Survey. Ordnance Survey Card Index. TF 42 SW: 2.
  •  Bibliographic Reference: Nikolaus Pevsner and John Harris, with Nicholas Antram. 1989. Buildings of England: Lincolnshire (Second Edition). -.
  •  Article in Serial: SUTTON, A.F.. 1903. Associated Architectural and Archaeological Societies’ Reports and Papers. vol.2, pp.259-60.
  •  Index: Lincolnshire County Council. Sites and Monuments Record Card Index. TF 42 SW: B.
  •  Index: Parish card index of the former South Lincolnshire Archaeology Unit. GEDNEY. -, 1966.
  •  Article in Serial: J.B. Whitwell (ed.). 1967. 'Archaeological notes for 1966' in Lincolnshire History and Archaeology. vol.2, p.52.
  •  Article in Monograph: Owen, A.E.B.. 1984. A PROSPECT OF LINCOLNSHIRE. p.46.
  •  Aerial Photograph: 1945-84. CAMBRIDGE UNIVERSITY COLLECTION. PF 52-3, 1955.
  •  Bibliographic Reference: PARISH FILE. GEDNEY. -.
  •  Bibliographic Reference: Penny Hebgin-Barnes. 1996. The Medieval Stained Glass of the County of Lincolnshire. pp.98-106.
  •  Index: Department of the Environment. 1987. List of Buildings of Special Architectural or Historic Interest. 4/5.
  •  Bibliographic Reference: Downing, Mark. 2010. Medieval Military Monuments in Lincolnshire. no.3, pp.22-4.



Grid reference Centred TF 40278 24348 (54m by 29m) Surveyed

Related Monuments/Buildings (2)

Related Events/Activities (0)

External Links (0)

Record last edited

Dec 6 2023 10:32AM


Your feedback is welcome. If you can provide any new information about this record, please contact us.