Monument record MLI82810 - Settlement of Martin


The settlement of Martin is first documented in the 12th century, and survives to the present.

Type and Period (3)

  • (Medieval to Modern - 1100 AD? to 2050 AD)
  • (Medieval to Post Medieval - 1526 AD to 1544 AD)
  • (Medieval to Post Medieval - 1066 AD to 1900 AD)

Protected Status/Designation

Full Description

The settlement of Martin is first documented in the early to mid 12th century in the Book of Fees (1135-54), and in a 12th century Templar document, when Walter D'Ayncourt donated lands to the Templars. The name Martin means 'farmstead, village by the pool', in Old English. {1}{2}{3} Kirkstead Abbey is documented as owning land in Martin, which may have been part of the Linwood Grange estate. Also, Thurgaton Priory held 9 and a half bovates of land in Martin in 1281. {4}{5} In the early 17th century there were c.90 families living in Timberland and Martin. {6} Martin did not become a separate parish until the 20th century, and until that time formed part of Timberland parish. The population of Martin in 1901 was 723, which was 300 more than Timberland. {7} A small, hammered silver coin of Henry VIII was found on land to the north of the High Street (PRN 62274a - TF 125 599). It is from the Canterbury mint of Archbishop Warham's 2nd coinage, dating to 1526-44. It is stamped on the obverse: HENRIC VIII DI'G'R'AGL'Z' HB. {8} A single sherd of unstratified medieval pottery was found in 2007, during archaeological monitoring conducted near Mill Lane, Martin (PRN 62274b - TF 122 599). Some fragments of possible medieval tile were also recovered. {9}{10}

Sources/Archives (10)

  •  Bibliographic Reference: Morris, J. (ed.). 1986. Domesday Book for Lincolnshire. lxxxi.
  •  Bibliographic Reference: Kenneth Cameron. 1998. A Dictionary of Lincolnshire Place-Names. p.87.
  •  Bibliographic Reference: Mills, D.. 1994. The Knights Templar in Kesteven. -.
  •  Article in Serial: Owen, Dorothy M.. 1989. 'A Kirkstead Abbey valuation of 1537' in Lincolnshire History and Archaeology. p.43.
  •  Bibliographic Reference: Foulds, T. (ed.). 1994. The Thurgaton Cartulary. p.466.
  •  Bibliographic Reference: R.E.G. Cole. 1913. Speculum Dioeceseos Lincolniensis sub Episcopis Gul: Wake et Edm: Gibson A.D.1705-1723. Part 1: Archdeaconries of Lincoln and Stow. p.131.
  •  Bibliographic Reference: William Page (ed). 1906. The Victoria County History: Lincolnshire - Volume 2. p.363.
  •  Index: Lincolnshire County Council. Sites and Monuments Record Card Index. TF 15 NW: N.
  •  Report: Archaeological Project Services. 2007. Mill Lane, Martin. APS site code: MAML07.
  •  Archive: Archaeological Project Services. 2007. Mill Lane, Martin. LCNCC 2007.56.



Grid reference Centred TF 1226 5990 (848m by 373m) Estimated from sources

Related Monuments/Buildings (0)

Related Events/Activities (2)

External Links (0)

Record last edited

Mar 21 2021 8:35PM


Your feedback is welcome. If you can provide any new information about this record, please contact us.