Monument record MLI60712 - Nocton Park Priory on Abbey Hill, NE of Nocton Wood Houses


Nocton Park Priory on Abbey Hill, 750m north east of Nocton Wood Houses

Type and Period (3)

Protected Status/Designation

Full Description

60712 Nocton Priory was a small house of Augustinian Canons founded in the mid twelfth century by Robert D’Arcy, son of the major landowner in Nocton, in honour of St Mary Magdelene, in or near a pre-existing deerpark. Many donations of land and property were given to Nocton Priory by the D’Arcy family during the twelfth and thirteenth century. These included the site of the priory, the church at Cawkwell and land in Nocton. Further land in Dunston and Nocton were given at various times, including arable land, meadow, pasture and marsh. The churches at Dunston and Nocton, and a sheepfold in Nocton were also donated. {1}{2}{3}{4}{5}{6}{10} The priory was dissolved in 1536, and was subsequently granted to Charles, Duke of Suffolk, and then in the reign of Elizabeth it passed to Sir Henry Stanley who converted the priory into a residence, which it was thought was taken down on the construction of Nocton Hall, which was believed to be in the late seventeenth century. However, there appears to be some confusion about whether the priory was the site of Sir Henry Stanley’s residence. It is now thought that his residence was on the site of the present hall, and that the priory buildings may have been used as a small residence, possibly a farmhouse. Nothing remained of any of the priory buildings by 1726 when Stukeley visited the site. {7}{4}{8}{10} The site lies on the bluff above the Witham Fens, adjacent to the Car Dyke, and the earthworks of the church and cloister survive within an irregular oval precinct. Two possible fishponds are located just outside the precinct. Deep ploughing on Abbey Hill, to the north of the site has disturbed masonry which may belong to the priory buildings. It includes decorated carving, including an Early English cross shaft. In the late 1960s and early 1970s much building material, both stone and tile (including ridge tile) were noted on the site. Some pottery was also noted, which included bellarmine, Nottingham ware, green-glazed and brown-glazed wares. Aerial photographs show traces of earthworks of the priory and possible associated features. {1}{9}{10} The site is the subject of a revised scheduling (22750), which includes the buried and earthwork remains of the inner precinct. {5}

Sources/Archives (10)

  •  Scheduling Record: HBMC. AM 7. SAM 238.
  •  Article in Serial: D'Arcy, Michael. 1993. Lincolnshire Past and Present. Vol 10-11, pp.33-34.
  •  Bibliographic Reference: William Page (ed). 1906. The Victoria County History: Lincolnshire - Volume 2. Vol 2, pp.168-170.
  •  Bibliographic Reference: D. Knowles and R.N. Hadcock. 1953. Medieval Religious Houses: England and Wales - First Edition. page 147.
  •  Scheduling Record: English Heritage. 1999. Revised scheduling document 22750. MPP 23.
  •  Bibliographic Reference: William White. 1856. History, Gazetteer and Directory of Lincolnshire - Second Edition. page 365.
  •  Article in Serial: Bennett, Carol. 1996. 'E.J.Willson and the Architectural History of Nocton Old Hall' in Lincolnshire People and Places. pp.26-42.
  •  Unpublished Document: Ambrose, T.. 1979. Nocton Priory. -.



Grid reference Centred TF 0773 6487 (433m by 376m) Estimated from Sources

Related Monuments/Buildings (0)

Related Events/Activities (3)

External Links (0)

Record last edited

Nov 9 2021 11:22AM


Your feedback is welcome. If you can provide any new information about this record, please contact us.