Monument record MLI60445 - Deserted Settlement of Scott Willoughby


Scott Willoughby is first mentioned in the Domesday Book. By the late 17th century, only one family was resident in the village.

Type and Period (7)

Protected Status/Designation

  • None recorded

Full Description

Scott Willoughby is first mentioned in the Domesday Book. Land there belonged to Gilbert de Gand, Guy de Reinbuedcurt and Guy of Craon. There was a minimum population of 10 sokemen, 3 bordars and a priest. A church is also mentioned. {1} The place name Willoughby is of Old English origin, although with the final element replaced with the Old Danish suffix 'by'. It means 'the farmstead, village where willows grow'. The 'Scott' element refers to the Scot family. {2} The Lay Subsidy of 1332 records Scott Willoughby's wealth as £2 5s 6d, below average for its wapentake (Aveland). {3} The Diocesan Return of 1563 records only 4 families resident at Scott Willoughby. {4} By the late 17th/early 18th century only 1 family lived in the parish. The place is also referred to as Water Willoughby. {5} In 1801, 9 people were resident in the parish, rising to 36 by 1881 before falling slightly to 29 in 1901. {6} By the 19th century, the residents of the parish lived mainly in three farms, and the village itself appears to no longer exist. {7} The landowners of Scott Willoughby from medieval times to the 19th century are discussed by Trollope. {8} Deserted medieval settlement remains are visible on aerial photographs, including crofts, a building, and enclosure and a field boundary. {9}{10}{11}{12} Much building stone was visible after ploughing both sides of the stream, especially to the west of the road, in 1976. This may also be related to the manor house site (see PRN 65039) although this has not been proved either way. {13}{14} A pipeline trench crossed part of this site in 1979. Medieval pottery including a jug handle was found. {15} A number of magnetic anomalies were recorded in this area, during a magnetometry survey conducted in April 2005, along four sections of the proposed route of the Harrowby to Aswarby water pipeline. The anomalies suggested the locations of former linear features and pits, and were thought to represent former agricultural activity, possibly related to the deserted medieval settlement of Scott Willoughby. {16} Several finds of medieval and post medieval metalwork were made in the vicinity of Scott Willoughby by a metal detectorist in 1985. The finds include medieval buckles, strap ends, lead seals, part of a key and a late 14th-15th century finger ring as well as several post medieval items including a spoon and a ring. (The exact locations of these finds are not known). {17}{18}

Sources/Archives (18)

  •  Bibliographic Reference: C.W. Foster and T. Longley. 1924. Lincolnshire Domesday and Lindsey Survey. 24/79; 39/1; 57/17.
  •  Bibliographic Reference: Kenneth Cameron. 1998. A Dictionary of Lincolnshire Place-Names. pp.139-40.
  •  Article in Serial: R.E. Glasscock. 1964. 'The Lay Subsidy of 1334 for Lincolnshire' in Lincolnshire Architectural and Archaeological Society Reports and Papers. vol.10.2, p.123.
  •  Bibliographic Reference: Gerald A.J. Hodgett. 1975. Tudor Lincolnshire. p.192.
  •  Bibliographic Reference: R.E.G. Cole. 1913. Speculum Dioeceseos Lincolniensis sub Episcopis Gul: Wake et Edm: Gibson A.D.1705-1723. Part 1: Archdeaconries of Lincoln and Stow. p.143.
  •  Bibliographic Reference: William Page (ed). 1906. The Victoria County History: Lincolnshire - Volume 2. p.360.
  •  Bibliographic Reference: William White. 1856. History, Gazetteer and Directory of Lincolnshire - Second Edition. p.552.
  •  Bibliographic Reference: Edward Trollope. 1872. Sleaford and the Wapentakes of Flaxwell and Aswardhurn in the County of Lincoln. pp.456-57.
  •  Map: Royal Commission on the Historical Monuments of England. 1992-1996. National Mapping Programme. TF0537; LI.827.8.1-5.
  •  Aerial Photograph: 1945-84. CAMBRIDGE UNIVERSITY COLLECTION. OV90-91.
  •  Aerial Photograph: 1946-98. RCHME. TF0537/1,3,5.
  •  Index: Aunsby and Dembleby SMR cards. AUNSBY AND DEMBLEBY. TF 03 NE: K.
  •  Index: Ordnance Survey. Aunsby and Dembleby O.S. cards. AUNSBY AND DEMBLEBY. TF 03 NE; 28.
  •  Index: Osbournby SMR cards. OSBOURNBY. TF 03 NE; AE.
  •  Report: Stratascan. 2005. Harrowby - Aswarby Pipeline. Stratascan site code: J1998.
  •  Correspondence: Sly, Richard. 1985. Letters about metal detecting finds at Scott Willoughby. -.
  •  Graphic Material: HOLLAND, K.G.. 1989. Plot of fieldwalking finds and cropmarks/earthworks near Scot Willoughby. AUNSBY AND DEMBLEBY. -.



Grid reference Centred TF 053 376 (777m by 382m) Estimated from sources

Related Monuments/Buildings (1)

Related Events/Activities (5)

External Links (0)

Record last edited

Mar 21 2021 8:35PM


Your feedback is welcome. If you can provide any new information about this record, please contact us.