Monument record MLI33937 - Church of St Andrew and St Mary, South Stoke


Church of St Andrew and St Mary is at Stoke Rochford estate village although is just over the border in Easton parish.

Type and Period (3)

Protected Status/Designation

Full Description

PRN 33937 A Norman to Perpendicular church. The joint dedication was adopted when St Andrew's in North Stoke was demolished. In 1965 it was in normal use. {1}{2}{4} The north arcade and the lower parts of the west tower date to about 1140. The south arcade is early 13th century. The south chapel was built in 1448 and the north chapel in about 1460. Various restoration works took place in 1846-47. {3} Stained glass in this church, some of which is in situ, dates to about 1450-75 AD and to the 15th century. {5} The church dates from the 11th century. It is of ashlar and coursed limestone rubble, with ashlar quoins and dressings and lead roofs. The west tower is of 3 stages with a corbelled embattled parapet with angle pinnacles and gargoyles. The lower parts of the tower were probably an unbuttressed 11th century tower, the belfry stage being added in the early 13th century. The gabled north porch is 13th century. There is a fine 1460-70 north chapel built for the Rochford family. The south chapel dates to 1448. The mid 12th century north arcade is of 3 bays. The early 13th century south arcade has single chamfered round arches. In the north chapel is a 14th century double monument showing a knight and his lady lying under a blanket, he with a shield of arms and their feet resting on dogs. For the full description and the legal address of this listed building please refer to the appropriate List of Buildings of Special Architectural or Historic Interest. {6} At the east end of the north chapel is a damaged and worn limestone effigy of a knight and his lady lying beside each other under a quilt possibly representing marital happiness. The sculpture dates to about 1300 to 1325. The knight is clad entirely in realistic mail. The hands of both figures are raised in prayer and their feet rest on lions. The church guidebook says that the effigy came from the ruins of the church of North Stoke. The heraldry on the shield of the knight indicates a local branch of the Nevill family, and can be identified with relative certainty as Sir John de Nevill 'of Stokes' who was Sheriff of Lincoln during the reign of Edward II, and probably died shortly after 1326 when he was lasted recorded. {7} The monument is mentioned by Holles in the 1630s as being in the north chapel of the church at Kirke Stoke alias Stoke Rochford. Consequently, the local story repeated in the church guidebook that the monument came from the ruins of North Stoke church is probably mistaken. {8} The war memorial at Stoke Rochford consists of the church clock and metal tablets at St Mary's and St Andrew's Church. Unveiled in 1920, they both commemorate those who fought in the First World War. The metal tablets are located in the north porch of the church. The tablets include the names of those men who fought from both Stoke Rochford and Easton. {9}

Sources/Archives (9)

  •  Index: OS CARD INDEX. STOKE ROCHFORD. SK 92 NW:6,1965, JB.
  •  Bibliographic Reference: John Charles Cox. 1924. Little Guide: Lincolnshire (Second Edition). -.
  •  Bibliographic Reference: Nikolaus Pevsner and John Harris, with Nicholas Antram. 1989. Buildings of England: Lincolnshire (Second Edition). P 719-20.
  •  Index: SMR FILE. STOKE ROCHFORD. SK 92 NW:Q,1984, DES.
  •  Bibliographic Reference: Penny Hebgin-Barnes. 1996. The Medieval Stained Glass of the County of Lincolnshire. pp. 297-98.
  •  Index: Department of the Environment. 1987. List of Buildings of Special Architectural or Historic Interest. 6/91.
  •  Bibliographic Reference: Downing, Mark. 2010. Medieval Military Monuments in Lincolnshire. No.9, p.30.
  •  Bibliographic Reference: R.E.G. Cole. 1911. Lincolnshire Church Notes made by Gervase Holles 1634 to 1642. p.204.
  •  Bibliographic Reference: Michael Credland. 2014. The First World War Memorials of Lincolnshire. p.170.



Grid reference Centred SK 9204 2735 (106m by 66m)

Related Monuments/Buildings (0)

Related Events/Activities (0)

External Links (0)

Record last edited

Dec 6 2023 10:31AM


Your feedback is welcome. If you can provide any new information about this record, please contact us.