Monument record MLI98561 - Maltby le Marsh Settlement


Maltby le Marsh has its origins in the Anglo-Saxon period, and continues to the present day.

Type and Period (2)

Protected Status/Designation

  • None recorded

Full Description

Placename evidence suggests the name Maltby le Marsh came from Malti's farmstead or village from the Old Danish. {1} Maltby le Marsh is first recorded in Domesday Book where there are four main land holders. There are two manors, one of which is probably the moated site to the south of the village near the church. The village is also mentioned a generation later in the Lindsey Survey. {2} The village was worth £3 8s according to the Lay Subsidy of 1334, which is slightly less than average for the wapentake. {3} In 1563, there were 31 households in the village. {4} In the early 18th century it is recorded that there were 25 families in the village. {5} In 1801 there were 208 inhabitants in the village. This rose to 334 in the 1860s before dropping to 234 by 1901. {6} The remains of ridge and furrow were recorded in a number of fields surrounding Maltby le Marsh. The remains were identified as both cropmarks and earthworks on aerial photographs examined by the National Mapping Programme. {7} Possible traces of medieval ridge and furrow were recorded in March 2014, during archaeological monitoring of new development on land at Beesby Road, Maltby le Marsh (PRN 48526a - TF 4634 8121). The remains were noted as slight changes in the thickness of alluvium layers across the site, possibly indicating the location of the former furrows. {8}{9}

Sources/Archives (9)

  •  Bibliographic Reference: Kenneth Cameron. 1998. A Dictionary of Lincolnshire Place-Names. p.85.
  •  Bibliographic Reference: C.W. Foster and T. Longley. 1924. Lincolnshire Domesday and Lindsey Survey. 12/86; 24/64; 25/22; 28/32; L15/12.
  •  Article in Serial: R.E. Glasscock. 1964. 'The Lay Subsidy of 1334 for Lincolnshire' in Lincolnshire Architectural and Archaeological Society Reports and Papers. vol.10.2, p.128.
  •  Bibliographic Reference: Gerald A.J. Hodgett. 1975. Tudor Lincolnshire. p.195.
  •  Bibliographic Reference: R.E.G. Cole. 1913. Speculum Dioeceseos Lincolniensis sub Episcopis Gul: Wake et Edm: Gibson A.D.1705-1723. Part 1: Archdeaconries of Lincoln and Stow. Maltby, p.86.
  •  Bibliographic Reference: William Page (ed). 1906. The Victoria County History: Lincolnshire - Volume 2. p.368.
  •  Map: Royal Commission on the Historical Monuments of England. 1992-1996. National Mapping Programme.
  •  Report: Archaeological Project Services. 2014. Beesby Road, Maltby le Marsh. APS site code: MMBR 14.
  •  Archive: Archaeological Project Services. 2014. Beesby Road, Maltby le Marsh. LCNCC 2014.41.



Grid reference Centred TF 4666 8183 (1264m by 1950m) Estimated from sources

Related Monuments/Buildings (0)

Related Events/Activities (1)

External Links (0)

Record last edited

Mar 21 2021 8:35PM


Your feedback is welcome. If you can provide any new information about this record, please contact us.