Building record MLI94290 - War memorial in the gardens to Ayscoughfee Hall, Spalding


War memorial in the gardens to Ayscoughfee Hall, Spalding, and was unveiled in 1922.

Type and Period (2)

Protected Status/Designation

Full Description

War memorial in a classical style built c.1925 and designed by Sir Edward Lutyens. In front is a stone of remembrance and a formal sunken pool. For the original description and legal address of this listed building please refer to the appropriate List of Buildings of Special Architectural or Historic Interest. {1}{2} The Spalding war memorial stands in the gardens of Ayscoughfee Hall at the end of a former ice pool. The memorial, unveiled in 1922, consists of a white rendered Doric temple with Portland stone dressing and a clay pantile hip roof. Three semi-circular arches at the front and one each end lead into the open gallery where stone tablets divided by decorative stone flags record the names of the First World War fallen. Herringbone brickwork paviours line the floor and a stone of remembrance sits on three wide steps at the front of the building. {3} The First World War memorial was designed by Sir Edwin Landseer Lutyens, who designed many other memorials in the United Kingdom and abroad including the Cenotaph in Whitehall. The design of the memorial had been put to a public vote within the town and the favoured scheme was a reduced scale version of Lutyens’s original design along with a carillon to be built on the roof of the Corn Exchange. The memorial was built by Hodson Ltd of Nottingham and unveiled in 1922. The war memorial garden lies in the southern area of the gardens of Ayscoughfee Hall. At the head of the memorial garden is the Temple of Remembrance, a brick pavilion with three Tuscan stone arches to the front and a single arch to each side; it has a solid rear wall. The roof is hipped, and clad in red pantiles. Three panels are set on the inner rear wall: the central one with the dedication and names added in 2015, the outer panels with the names of the fallen in the First World War. In front of the pavilion, raised on a platform of three steps, stands a Stone of Remembrance. Extending from the Stone of Remembrance, and at a slightly lower level, is the axial canal approached by stone steps. The canal, which appears on the John Grundy (snr) map of 1732, was re-worked by Lutyens to act as a reflecting pool for the memorial with ashlar side walls and a flagged surround. Three low but elaborate stone fountains stand along the length of the canal; photographic evidence suggests these are a later installation. The garden is surrounded by mature yew hedging. For the full revised description of this listed building please refer to the National Heritage List for England. {4}

Sources/Archives (4)

  •  Index: Department of the Environment. 1975. List of Buildings of Special Architectural or Historic Interest. 1/132.
  •  Report: South Holland District Council. 2007. Spalding Conservation Area Appraisal. Riverside character area.
  •  Bibliographic Reference: Michael Credland. 2014. The First World War Memorials of Lincolnshire. p.165.
  •  Website: Historic England (formerly English Heritage). 2011->. The National Heritage List for England. 1064002.



Grid reference Centred TF 24927 22302 (30m by 79m)

Related Monuments/Buildings (2)

Related Events/Activities (2)

External Links (0)

Record last edited

Mar 21 2021 8:35PM


Your feedback is welcome. If you can provide any new information about this record, please contact us.