Monument record MLI90707 - Settlement of Haceby


The settlement of Haceby is first mentioned in the Domesday Book and survives to the present.

Type and Period (1)

  • (Early Medieval/Dark Age to Modern - 1000 AD to 2050 AD)

Protected Status/Designation

  • None recorded

Full Description

The settlement of Haceby is first mentioned in the Domesday Book. The land there belonged to Gilbert de Gand, Colsuain, Waldin the Breton, Odo the Arblaster and Guy de Craon. The minimum population consisted of 14 sokemen, 6 villeins, 9 bordars and a priest. A church is also mentioned. {1} The place name 'Haceby' contains Old Norse and Old Danish elements and probably means 'Hadd's farmstead, village'. {2} The Lay Subsidy of 1334 records the settlement's wealth as £2 10s 3d, below average for its wapentake (Aveland). {3} The Diocesan Return of 1563 records 40 households at Haceby. {4} By the late 17th - early 18th century, there were 11 families resident in the parish. {5} In 1801 there were 48 people resident in the parish, rising to 79 by 1851 before falling again to 46 by 1901. {6} The village and its inhabitants in 1856 are discussed in White's "Directory". {7} Slight traces of stone walls and a few sherds of medieval pottery were found during the levelling of deserted village remains to the east of the church (at approximately TF 0305 3605) during or prior to 1977. {8} Shrunken village remains have been noted at approx TF 032 361 but no details are given. {10} No deserted village remains are recorded for this area (north of the moat, east of the church) on the NMP, although there are earthworks there which have been interpreted as medieval garden remains (see PRN 26287). There is also ridge and furrow surrounding the village (see PRNs 62585 and 62686). {9} The development, ownership and layout of the medieval village are discussed by Stocker & Everson, who interpret the earthworks to the north and north-east of the moat as settlement remains. They also note a probable village green with pond to the south of the church, part of which still remains as an open space. (Note - the settlement polygon is based on this interpretation.) {11}

Sources/Archives (11)

  •  Bibliographic Reference: C.W. Foster and T. Longley. 1924. Lincolnshire Domesday and Lindsey Survey. 24/88; 26/45; 46/1, 2; 48/8; 57/18, 35.
  •  Bibliographic Reference: Kenneth Cameron. 1998. A Dictionary of Lincolnshire Place-Names. p.56.
  •  Article in Serial: R.E. Glasscock. 1964. 'The Lay Subsidy of 1334 for Lincolnshire' in Lincolnshire Architectural and Archaeological Society Reports and Papers. vol.10.2, p.123.
  •  Bibliographic Reference: Gerald A.J. Hodgett. 1975. Tudor Lincolnshire. p.192.
  •  Bibliographic Reference: R.E.G. Cole. 1913. Speculum Dioeceseos Lincolniensis sub Episcopis Gul: Wake et Edm: Gibson A.D.1705-1723. Part 1: Archdeaconries of Lincoln and Stow. p.57.
  •  Bibliographic Reference: William Page (ed). 1906. The Victoria County History: Lincolnshire - Volume 2. p.360.
  •  Bibliographic Reference: William White. 1856. History, Gazetteer and Directory of Lincolnshire - Second Edition. p.717.
  •  Index: Lincolnshire County Council. Sites and Monuments Record Card Index. TF 03 NW: O.
  •  Map: Royal Commission on the Historical Monuments of England. 1992-1996. National Mapping Programme. TF 03 NW.
  •  Unpublished Document: R.H. Healey and D.R. Roffe. Some Medieval and Later Earthworks in South Lincolnshire. p.132.
  •  Bibliographic Reference: Paul Everson and David Stocker. 2006. Summoning St Michael: Early Romanesque Towers in Lincolnshire. pp.167-8, fig.4.79.



Grid reference Centred TF 0298 3606 (540m by 369m) Estimated from sources

Related Monuments/Buildings (2)

Related Events/Activities (0)

External Links (0)

Record last edited

Mar 21 2021 8:35PM


Your feedback is welcome. If you can provide any new information about this record, please contact us.