Monument record MLI90661 - Settlement of Spanby


The settlement of Spanby is first mentioned in the Domesday Book and survives to the present.

Type and Period (2)

Protected Status/Designation

  • None recorded

Full Description

PRN 64869 Spanby is first mentioned in the Domesday Book. Land there belonged to Colsuain and Oger the Breton and there was a minimum population of 12 sokemen. {1} The place-name Spanby is probably of Old Norse and Old Danish origin and probably means 'the farmstead/village where shingle for tiling is obtained.' {2} The Lay Subsidy of 1334 records Spanby's wealth as £2 7s 8 1/2d, below average for its wapentake (Aveland). {3} The Diocesan Return of 1563 records 6 households resident at the hamlet. {4} Spanby is listed with Swaton in the 'Speculum Dioeceseos Lincolnsiensis' of the early 18th century. 35 families were resident in the two settlements, but no separate figure is given for Spanby. {5} By 1801 there were 59 people living in the hamlet, rising to 115 by 1861 before falling again to 84 by 1901. {6} The village and its residents from the medieval period to the 19th century are discussed briefly by Trollope and White. {9}{10} Aerial photographs show ridge and furrow cultivation (PRN 64869a) at various locations (including TF 0971 3811, TF 0955 3791 and TF 0926 3823) around the village. {7}{8}

Sources/Archives (10)

  •  Bibliographic Reference: C.W. Foster and T. Longley. 1924. Lincolnshire Domesday and Lindsey Survey. 26/39; 42/7.
  •  Bibliographic Reference: Kenneth Cameron. 1998. A Dictionary of Lincolnshire Place-Names. p 114.
  •  Article in Serial: R.E. Glasscock. 1964. 'The Lay Subsidy of 1334 for Lincolnshire' in Lincolnshire Architectural and Archaeological Society Reports and Papers. vol.10.2, p.123.
  •  Bibliographic Reference: Gerald A.J. Hodgett. 1975. Tudor Lincolnshire. p 192.
  •  Bibliographic Reference: R.E.G. Cole. 1913. Speculum Dioeceseos Lincolniensis sub Episcopis Gul: Wake et Edm: Gibson A.D.1705-1723. Part 1: Archdeaconries of Lincoln and Stow. pp 123-24.
  •  Bibliographic Reference: William Page (ed). 1906. The Victoria County History: Lincolnshire - Volume 2. p 360.
  •  Map: Royal Commission on the Historical Monuments of England. 1992-1996. National Mapping Programme. TF0938; LI.828.2.1, LI.828.3.1.
  •  Aerial Photograph: 1945-84. CAMBRIDGE UNIVERSITY COLLECTION. CLJ 54.
  •  Bibliographic Reference: Edward Trollope. 1872. Sleaford and the Wapentakes of Flaxwell and Aswardhurn in the County of Lincoln. pp 438-39.
  •  Bibliographic Reference: William White. 1856. History, Gazetteer and Directory of Lincolnshire - Second Edition. p 550.



Grid reference Centred TF 09536 38053 (756m by 490m)

Related Monuments/Buildings (2)

Related Events/Activities (1)

External Links (0)

Record last edited

Mar 21 2021 8:35PM


Your feedback is welcome. If you can provide any new information about this record, please contact us.