Monument record MLI90204 - Settlement of Osbournby


The settlement of Osbournby is first mentioned in Domesday book and survives to the present day.

Type and Period (1)

  • (Early Medieval/Dark Age to Modern - 1000 AD to 2050 AD)

Protected Status/Designation

Full Description

PRN 64680 [Includes PRN 60904, now deleted.] The settlement of Osbournby is first mentioned in the Domesday Book. The land there belonged to Gilbert de Gand and Guy de Craon . It had a minimum population of 18 sokemen, 3 bordars and 7 villeins. A church is also mentioned. Land at Scot Willoughby and Haydour is also mentioned as belonging to Osbournby. There was also a dispute about the ownership of some land at Osbournby. {1} The place name 'Osbournby' possibly derives from an Old Danish or Anglo-Scandinavian personal name. {2} The Lay Subsidy of 1334 lists the parish's wealth as £6 0s 2d, around average for its wapentake (Aveland). {3} The Diocesan Return of 1563 records 43 households in Osbournby. {4} By the late 17th/early 18th century, there were 50-55 families resident in the parish. {5} By 1801, there were 343 people living in the parish, rising to 654 in 1841 before falling again to 392 by 1901. {6} The landowners of the parish from medieval times to the 19th century are discussed by Trollope. {8} White's Directory lists the residents of the parish in 1856 along with a short description of the village. {9} Scatters of medieval pottery have been found at various places around the village including TF 0657 3830 (PRN 64680a), TF 0660 3840 (PRN 64680b) and TF 0667 3831 (PRN 64680c). Much masonry was also found at TF 0667 3831. {7} Medieval and post medieval pottery was found during groundworks associated with the construction of a new garage at TF 0684 3805 (PRN 64680d). {7} A group of carved stones of unspecified date (PRN 64680e) were found at TF 071 382 when a barn was demolished in 1974. {7} A penny of Edward III and a fragment of medieval brooch (PRN 64680f) were found during the construction of a house at TF 0665 3835. {7} There was a mud and stud barn in the village which was recorded in the 1960s. It has now been demolished. [The exact location of this barn is not known]. {10}

Sources/Archives (10)

  •  Bibliographic Reference: C.W. Foster and T. Longley. 1924. Lincolnshire Domesday and Lindsey Survey. 24/90; 57/15-17, 21; 72/53.
  •  Bibliographic Reference: Kenneth Cameron. 1998. A Dictionary of Lincolnshire Place-Names. p 95.
  •  Article in Serial: R.E. Glasscock. 1964. 'The Lay Subsidy of 1334 for Lincolnshire' in Lincolnshire Architectural and Archaeological Society Reports and Papers. vol.10.2, p.123.
  •  Bibliographic Reference: Gerald A.J. Hodgett. 1975. Tudor Lincolnshire. p 192.
  •  Bibliographic Reference: R.E.G. Cole. 1913. Speculum Dioeceseos Lincolniensis sub Episcopis Gul: Wake et Edm: Gibson A.D.1705-1723. Part 1: Archdeaconries of Lincoln and Stow. pp 93-4.
  •  Bibliographic Reference: William Page (ed). 1906. The Victoria County History: Lincolnshire - Volume 2. p 360.
  •  Index: Osbournby SMR cards. OSBOURNBY. TF 03 NE; S, T, U, AM, AX, AY.
  •  Bibliographic Reference: Edward Trollope. 1872. Sleaford and the Wapentakes of Flaxwell and Aswardhurn in the County of Lincoln. pp 419-20.
  •  Bibliographic Reference: William White. 1856. History, Gazetteer and Directory of Lincolnshire - Second Edition. pp 548-49.
  •  Bibliographic Reference: Rodney Cousins. 2000. Lincolnshire Buildings in the Mud and Stud Tradition. p 45.



Grid reference Centred TF 06709 38178 (606m by 466m)

Related Monuments/Buildings (1)

Related Events/Activities (2)

External Links (0)

Record last edited

Mar 21 2021 8:35PM


Your feedback is welcome. If you can provide any new information about this record, please contact us.