Monument record MLI88121 - Settlement of Saltfleetby St Peter


The settlement of Saltfleetby St Peter has its origins in the Anglo Saxon period and survives to the present day.

Type and Period (5)

  • (Early Medieval/Dark Age to Modern - 1000 AD to 2050 AD)
  • (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
  • (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
  • (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
  • (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)

Protected Status/Designation

  • None recorded

Full Description

PRN 46238 The name of Saltfleetby St Peter is first recorded as Saltflatebi in 1086, which means the farmstead, village on or near Saltfleet. The suffix is from the dedication of the church. It is also known as West Saltfleetby. {1} In 1086, there was no distinction between the three Saltfleetby parishes and they were all listed as one. The King owned the majority of land, with further land being owned by the Bishop of Durham and Alfred of Lincoln. There was additional land owned by Rainer de Brimou and William Blund, but it is listed as waste. There is a minimum population of 53 people. {2} By the Lindsey survey of 1115 the Count of Brittany had become the major landowner in the parish. {2} The lay subsidy in 1334 records that Saltfleetby paid £7 6s 6d which was considerably higher than the average for Louthesk wapentake, implying that the parish was wealthier than the average. {3} There was a fair granted to Saltfleetby in 1268 to be held from the 20th to 27th September. This probably moved to Skidbrooke in 1301. {4} In 1377 there were 320 taxpayers in the Saltfleetby. {4} In 1563 there was a population of 31 households in Saltfleetby St Peter and 3 households at Three Bridges hamlet. {5} By the early 18th century there were 27 families resident in Saltfleetby St Peter. {6} The population of Saltfleetby St Peter was 146 in 1801 rising to 339 in 1871 and falling again to 246 in 1901. {7} Earthworks were observed on aerial photographs as part of the national mapping programme. These include crofts PRN 46238a - g (TF 4360 8982; TF 4284 8946; TF 4323 8940; TF 4303 8911; TF 4332 8925; TF 4352 8942; TF 4365 8949); tofts PRN 46238h (TF 4308 8943); enclosures PRN 46238i (TF 4350 8994); field systems. {8} Earthworks were observed on a site visit in 2004 as part of the Lincolnshire Coastal Grazing Marsh project. {9}

Sources/Archives (9)

  •  Bibliographic Reference: Kenneth Cameron. 1998. A Dictionary of Lincolnshire Place-Names. page 105.
  •  Bibliographic Reference: C.W. Foster and T. Longley. 1924. Lincolnshire Domesday and Lindsey Survey. 1/82 3/28-9 27/29 40/19 49/6 L18/1,6,9,12,13.
  •  Article in Serial: R.E. Glasscock. 1964. 'The Lay Subsidy of 1334 for Lincolnshire' in Lincolnshire Architectural and Archaeological Society Reports and Papers. vol.10.2, p.131.
  •  Bibliographic Reference: Graham Platts. 1985. Land and People in Medieval Lincolnshire. page 306.
  •  Bibliographic Reference: Gerald A.J. Hodgett. 1975. Tudor Lincolnshire. page 196.
  •  Bibliographic Reference: R.E.G. Cole. 1913. Speculum Dioeceseos Lincolniensis sub Episcopis Gul: Wake et Edm: Gibson A.D.1705-1723. Part 1: Archdeaconries of Lincoln and Stow. page 103.
  •  Bibliographic Reference: William Page (ed). 1906. The Victoria County History: Lincolnshire - Volume 2. page 372.
  •  Map: Royal Commission on the Historical Monuments of England. 1992-1996. National Mapping Programme. TF4389:LI.373.1.1 - 10; LI.373.2.1 - 2.
  •  Report: Lindsey Archaeological Services. 2004. Lincolnshire Coastal Grazing Marsh: Archaeological and Historical Data Collection. -.



Grid reference Centred TF 4313 8943 (1313m by 1261m) Centre

Related Monuments/Buildings (0)

Related Events/Activities (1)

External Links (0)

Record last edited

Mar 21 2021 8:35PM


Your feedback is welcome. If you can provide any new information about this record, please contact us.