Monument record MLI84590 - Shrunken settlement of Howell


The settlement of Howell is first mentioned in Domesday Book and survives, in a much shrunken form, to the present day.

Type and Period (5)

Protected Status/Designation

  • None recorded

Full Description

PRN 60335 The name Howell includes the Old English element 'welle' meaning 'a spring'; the first element is obscure. {1} The settlement of Howell is first mentioned in the Domesday Book. The land there belonged to the King, the Bishop of Lincoln, Gilbert de Gand, Colsuain and Colegrim. The minimum population consisted of 13 sokemen, 7 bordars and 1 priest although this figure may include residents of Boughton and part of Asgarby. A church is also mentioned. {2} The Lay Subsidy of 1334 records the settlement's wealth as £3 6s 8d, below average for its wapentake. {3} The Diocesan Return of 1563 records 14 households at Howell. {4} By the late 17th/early 18th century, there were 7 families resident at Howell. {5} By 1801, the population stood at 75 people, rising to 89 in 1881 before falling again to 83 by 1901. {6} The fields immediately west of the church contain earthworks associated with medieval settlement. The earthworks which still survive include ridge and furrow with headland, a sunken way and three crofts, at least one of which is subdivided. {7}{8}{9} The landowners at Howell from medieval times to the 19th century are discussed by Trollope. {10}

Sources/Archives (11)

  •  Bibliographic Reference: Kenneth Cameron. 1998. A Dictionary of Lincolnshire Place-Names. p 67.
  •  Bibliographic Reference: C.W. Foster and T. Longley. 1924. Lincolnshire Domesday and Lindsey Survey. 1/3; 7/46; 24/39; 26/29; 67/2.
  •  Article in Serial: R.E. Glasscock. 1964. 'The Lay Subsidy of 1334 for Lincolnshire' in Lincolnshire Architectural and Archaeological Society Reports and Papers. vol.10.2, p.123.
  •  Bibliographic Reference: Gerald A.J. Hodgett. 1975. Tudor Lincolnshire. p 190.
  •  Bibliographic Reference: R.E.G. Cole. 1913. Speculum Dioeceseos Lincolniensis sub Episcopis Gul: Wake et Edm: Gibson A.D.1705-1723. Part 1: Archdeaconries of Lincoln and Stow. p 68.
  •  Bibliographic Reference: William Page (ed). 1906. The Victoria County History: Lincolnshire - Volume 2. p 360.
  •  Unpublished Document: R.H. Healey and D.R. Roffe. Some Medieval and Later Earthworks in South Lincolnshire. Vol 1 pp28-9; Vol 2 fig 13.
  •  Aerial Photograph: Get Mapping. 2000. Digital National Imaging for Lincolnshire vertical aerial photographs.
  •  Aerial Photograph: 1945-84. CAMBRIDGE UNIVERSITY COLLECTION. CLJ 40.
  •  Bibliographic Reference: Edward Trollope. 1872. Sleaford and the Wapentakes of Flaxwell and Aswardhurn in the County of Lincoln. pp 406-7.
  •  Bibliographic Reference: William White. 1856. History, Gazetteer and Directory of Lincolnshire - Second Edition. p 547.



Grid reference Centred TF 1344 4624 (299m by 476m)

Related Monuments/Buildings (2)

Related Events/Activities (1)

External Links (0)

Record last edited

Mar 21 2021 8:35PM


Your feedback is welcome. If you can provide any new information about this record, please contact us.