Monument record MLI83270 - Greyfriars Conduit, Greyfriars Pathway to Arboretum Avenue


Greyfriars conduit, Greyfriars Pathway to Arboretum Avenue.

Type and Period (2)

  • (Medieval to Unknown - 1535 AD)
  • (Medieval to Unknown - 1535 AD)

Protected Status/Designation

Full Description

PRN 70014 In 1535 the Greyfriars obtained licence from the city council to build a conduit in the city's common ground {1}{3}{4}, bringing water for it from the spring near Monks Abbey. The conduit stood at the south-west corner of the present building (PRN 70154).{2} This conduit is thought to have been at least partly constructed from stone and lead salvaged from the parish churches of Holy Trinity, Greetstone and St Augustine's Butwerk, and the former hospital of which St Bartholomew's church formed the core. The lead roof of the hospital chapel may have been reused in the tank at the end of the conduit which was used to store the water within the city. It is also postulated that the friars may have been obliged to place the conduit head in a location where it could supply both the friary and the city, in return for the assistance of the city council with licences and materials.{4} After the Dissolution, the conduit, 'which the mayor wanted for the city' {1}, was purchased by the city council.{2}{3}{4}{5} Further support for the theory that the conduit head was located in a position accessible to all is provided by the city's enthusiastic pursuit of the acquisition of the conduit, as it is thought that the city would not have been so keen if they did not already benefit directly from the conduit. Also, it is unlikely that William Monson, who purchased the Greyfriars site, would have wanted the city entering his property to access the conduit head. The exact location of the conduit head on the Greyfriars site is uncertain, but a site anywhere along the southern precinct boundary would have been suitable for both the friary and the city.{4} See also PRN 70135.

Sources/Archives (5)

  •  Bibliographic Reference: William Page (ed). 1906. The Victoria County History: Lincolnshire - Volume 2. pp. 222-223.
  •  Unpublished Document: A.J. White. 1979. Lincoln's Medieval Friaries. p. 3.
  •  Unpublished Document: A.J. White. 1980. St Mary's Conduit, Lincoln. p. 2.
  •  Article in Serial: Stocker, D.A.. 1990. ‘The archaeology of the Reformation in Lincoln’ in Lincolnshire History and Archaeology. pp. 18, Fig. 1, and 22.
  •  Bibliographic Reference: JONES M. 1993. LINCOLN HISTORY AND GUIDE. p. 43.



Grid reference Centred SK 9802 7136 (495m by 233m) Centre

Related Monuments/Buildings (0)

Related Events/Activities (0)

External Links (0)

Record last edited

Mar 21 2021 8:35PM


Your feedback is welcome. If you can provide any new information about this record, please contact us.