Building record MLI82891 - Church of St Michael, Billinghay
Summary
Parish church dating from the 12th century, with alterations and additions from the 13th, 14th and 15th centuries. The tower and spire were rebuilt in 1787, the north aisle was rebuilt in 1856, and the tower rebuilt again in 1912.
Type and Period (1)
- CHURCH (Medieval to Modern - 1100 AD to 2050 AD)
Protected Status/Designation
Full Description
The Church of St Michael has an Early English west tower with additions dating from 1787. There is other medieval fabric in Decorated and Perpendicular style. The church in Billinghay had subordinate chapels at nearby Dogdyke (see MLI82996) and Walcott (see MLI82868). {1}{2}{3}{4}{5}{6}
Parish church dating from the 12th century, with alterations and additions from the 13th, 14th and 15th centuries. The tower and spire were rebuilt in 1787, the north aisle was rebuilt in 1856, and the tower rebuilt again in 1912. Built of coursed limestone rubble and ashlar, with ashlar dressings and featuring slate roofs, the church is comprised of a west tower with spire, nave with aisles, chancel, north vestry and south porch. The three stage tower has a moulded plinth and diagonal buttresses with set-offs plus a chamfered band below the bell stage. Above that is a stone octagonal broached spire with two sets of alternating lacarnes and four crocketed pinnacles at the corners. The west face has a small chamfered lancet, and above a 19th century metal clock face with above again a small plaque inscribed 'W:K. 1787'. Within the porch are two wall monuments to Anne Jessop 1807 and William Petchel 1861. Inside the church has four-bay nave arcades, with double chamfered pointed arches. The north arcade has octagonal piers and responds with moulded capitals and bases. The south arcade has keeled quatrefoil piers and responds with moulded capitals and bases. The tower arch is double chamfered and pointed with single shaft responds with moulded capitals and bases. The nave has a very fine 16th century wooden roof, with wooden carved bosses. The chancel arch is double chamfered and pointed with octagonal responds with moulded capitals and bases. The chancel has a Minton tile floor, a small ogee headed piscina, and a 19th century wood and brass altar rail. The stone octagonal, bowl and stem font is 14th century, with a two-light panel tracer to each face. Two monuments in the chancel are: Mary Hewitt 1746 with columns supporting an open segmental pediment containing shield, and Robert Hewitt 1760 in a lugged surround with side scroll brackets, surmounted by a skull and cross bones. The south aisle is 17th century and the north aisle 19th century. The south aisle also has a small ogee headed piscina. For the full description and the legal address of this listed building please refer to the appropriate entry in the National Heritage List for England. {7}{8}{9}
Sources/Archives (9)
- <1> SLI1062 Bibliographic Reference: Nikolaus Pevsner and John Harris, with Nicholas Antram. 1989. Buildings of England: Lincolnshire (Second Edition). p.146.
- <2> SLI886 Bibliographic Reference: William White. 1856. History, Gazetteer and Directory of Lincolnshire (Second Edition). p.352.
- <3> SLI2881 Index: Lincolnshire County Council. Sites and Monuments Record Card Index. TF 15 SE: S.
- <4> SLI2344 Index: Ordnance Survey. Ordnance Survey Card Index. TF 15 SE: 1.
- <5> SLI920 Bibliographic Reference: Rev. Edward Trollope. 1872. Sleaford and the Wapentakes of Flaxwell and Aswardhurn in the County of Lincoln. p.494.
- <6> SLI737 Article in Serial: Dorothy M. Owen. 1975. 'Medieval Chapels in Lincolnshire' in Lincolnshire History and Archaeology. vol.10, p.16.
- <7> SLI7773 Index: Department of the Environment. 1990. List of Buildings of Special Architectural or Historic Interest. 5/2.
- <8> SLI13386 Website: Historic England (formerly English Heritage). 2011->. The National Heritage List for England. http://historicengland.org.uk/listing/the-list/. 1204770.
- <9> SLI11160 Report: North Kesteven District Council. 2006. Billinghay Conservation Area. Appendix 1, no. 15.
Map
Location
Grid reference | Centred TF 15672 54932 (33m by 16m) Surveyed |
---|---|
Civil Parish | BILLINGHAY, NORTH KESTEVEN, LINCOLNSHIRE |
Related Monuments/Buildings (3)
Related Events/Activities (2)
- Event - Survey: Site visit to Billinghay conservation area (ELI7484)
- Event - Survey: Site visit to St Michael's church (ELI3090)
Please contact the HER for details.
External Links (0)
Record last edited
Jan 30 2025 8:03AM
Feedback?
Your feedback is welcome. If you can provide any new information about this record, please contact us.