Monument record MLI82392 - Settlement of Colsterworth


The settlement of Colsterworth is thought to have its origins in the Anglo-Saxon period and survives to the present.

Type and Period (1)

  • (Early Medieval/Dark Age to Modern - 1000 AD? to 2050 AD)

Protected Status/Designation

  • None recorded

Full Description

The settlement of Colsterworth is first documented in 1086 in the Domesday Book, and is thought to have its origins in the Anglo-Saxon period. Stonework dating from the 10th century is located in the church. At the time of the Domesday Book, Colsterworth was known as Colstewrde or Colsteuorde, which means 'the charcoal burners' enclosure' from Old English. There was a manor in Colsterworth, belonging to a thane of the queen, and sokeland, owned by the Archbishop of York, with a minimum population of about 31. Woodland and two mills are also mentioned (see PRN 35483). {1}{2} In 1563 there were 27 households, which had risen to about 70 families by the early 18th century. {3}{4} The population in 1801 was 649, and rose again to 804 to 1901. {5}{6} Earthwork remains of former ridge and furrow field systems have been recorded as surviving around the settlement. An enclosure, buildings and fishponds have also been identified in the south-western part of Colsterworth, and have been interpreted as being the remains of part of a priory (see PRN 33897). However, it appears that the only documentary reference to Colsterworth was to land held there by the priory in Beckford. It may be that these remains are therefore thought to probably relate to the medieval settlement. {7}{8}{9}{10}{11}

Sources/Archives (11)

  •  Bibliographic Reference: C.W. Foster and T. Longley. 1924. Lincolnshire Domesday and Lindsey Survey. 2/39, 68/24.
  •  Bibliographic Reference: Kenneth Cameron. 1984. The Place-Names of Lincolnshire, Part 1. 1. p.32.
  •  Bibliographic Reference: Gerald A.J. Hodgett. 1975. Tudor Lincolnshire. p.191.
  •  Bibliographic Reference: R.E.G. Cole. 1913. Speculum Dioeceseos Lincolniensis sub Episcopis Gul: Wake et Edm: Gibson A.D.1705-1723. Part 1: Archdeaconries of Lincoln and Stow. p.35.
  •  Bibliographic Reference: William White. 1856. History, Gazetteer and Directory of Lincolnshire - Second Edition. p.420.
  •  Bibliographic Reference: William Page (ed). 1906. The Victoria County History: Lincolnshire - Volume 2. -.
  •  Map: Royal Commission on the Historical Monuments of England. 1992-1996. National Mapping Programme. SK9223: LI.793.4.1-3.
  •  Aerial Photograph: Hunting Surveys Ltd. 1971-2. Hunting Surveys Aerial Photography. Run 93, Frame 1696 (02/06/1971).
  •  Aerial Photograph: 1945-84. CAMBRIDGE UNIVERSITY COLLECTION. FP56-8 (08/06/1951).
  •  Index: Ordnance Survey. Ordnance Survey Card Index. SK 92 SW: 11.
  •  Index: Lincolnshire County Council. Sites and Monuments Record Card Index. SK 92 SW: Q.



Grid reference Centred SK 9299 2409 (413m by 538m) Estimated from Sources

Related Monuments/Buildings (0)

Related Events/Activities (0)

External Links (0)

Record last edited

Mar 21 2021 8:35PM


Your feedback is welcome. If you can provide any new information about this record, please contact us.