Monument record MLI53398 - Settlement of Faldingworth


The Faldingworth settlement dates from the early medieval period and survives to the present day.

Type and Period (6)

Protected Status/Designation

  • None recorded

Full Description

The name of 'Faldinworth' is in existence in 1086 and the place name derives from the Old English and means 'to make sheep folds'. {1} Domesday lists three manors and a minimum population of twenty-seven people. {2} Forty-three families are recorded in the settlement in the early 18th century. {3} In 1801 the population is listed as 226 rising to a peak in 1851, but by 1901 the population had dropped to 256. {4} The settlement of Faldingworth appears as a medium to larger settlement throughout the medieval and later period, suffering a decline in population at the end of the 14th century, and may have persisted through the 15th century. An earlier property line is preserved in earthworks. Only a few patches of earthworks now survive to confirm or amplify map evidence and it is difficult to formulate a coherent analysis. There was a typical fall in the later 17th century. It grew considerably in the mid 19th century. This concentrated population along High Street with the growing importance of the A46 road, which dog-legs through the settlement and in leaving, skews away from the earlier property line. Compared with the pattern mapped in 1795, by the early 19th century much of the network of village streets away from the main road had been abandoned or downgraded, particularly around the church. {5}{6} Enclosure occurred in 1794-1802. {7}{8} An assortment of 12th to 15th century medieval pottery was found in the garden of Stocks House (PRN 53398a - TF 0655 8465). The assemblage was largely comprised of various types of Green Glazed ware, although some shell-gritted ware sherds were present along with one piece of Midland Purple ware. A range of post-medieval artefacts, including pottery, glass, clay pipes and bottle marbles, were also found. {9}{10}{11} Two linear hollows, thought to represent former field boundary ditches, were recorded in February 1999, during topographical survey of land at Grange-le-Ings Farm (PRN 53398b - TF 0678 8464). {12} Two redeposited sherds of late medieval pottery were recovered in July 2002, during archaeological monitoring of extensions to the property known as Garfield, on Stocks Lane (PRN 53398c - TF 0658 8474). Both sherds were from mid 15th to mid 16th century jugs, with one made in a Late Medieval local fabric, and the other of Coal Measures whiteware. {13}{14} The remains of a late 19th century brick well was recorded in July 2006, during archaeological monitoring of new development on land off Lincoln Road (PRN 53398d - TF 0681 8480). The well was very likely associated with the previous occupation of the site, as depicted on earlier maps of this area. The site had been subjected to extensive modern disturbance, however, and no trace of any associated structure was identified. Redeposited medieval finds were also recovered during the monitoring, with the assemblage comprising 5 sherds of pottery and 1 piece of roof tile, all dating from the 13th to 15th centuries. The pottery sherds all appeared to be from jar or jug vessels, mostly made from Toynton Medieval ware, but with single sherds of Humberware and Beverley Orange ware also present. {15}{16}

Sources/Archives (16)

  •  Bibliographic Reference: Ekwall, E.. 1960. Concise Oxford Dictionary of English Place-Names - Fourth Edition. p.173.
  •  Bibliographic Reference: C.W. Foster and T. Longley. 1924. Lincolnshire Domesday and Lindsey Survey. 26/3/12, 49/1, 53/1.
  •  Bibliographic Reference: R.E.G. Cole. 1913. Speculum Dioeceseos Lincolniensis sub Episcopis Gul: Wake et Edm: Gibson A.D.1705-1723. Part 1: Archdeaconries of Lincoln and Stow. p.157.
  •  Bibliographic Reference: William Page (ed). 1906. The Victoria County History: Lincolnshire - Volume 2. p.371.
  •  Bibliographic Reference: P.L. Everson, C.C. Taylor and C.J. Dunn. 1991. Change and Continuity: Rural Settlement in North-West Lincolnshire. p.17, fig.18, archive notes.
  •  Map: Royal Commission on the Historical Monuments of England. 1992-1996. National Mapping Programme. TF0684: LI.517.3-4.1-7.
  •  Bibliographic Reference: RUSSELL, R.C. AND RUSSELL, E.. 1983. MAKING NEW LANDSCAPES IN LINCOLNSHIRE. pp.45-7.
  •  Verbal Communication: T.B.. 1991. -.
  •  Unpublished Document: PARISH FILE. FALDINGWORTH. -.
  •  Index: Lincolnshire County Council. Sites and Monuments Record Card Index. TF 08 SE: Q.
  •  Report: Oxford Archaeotechnics. 1999. Grange-le-Ings Farm, Faldingworth. -.
  •  Report: Lindsey Archaeological Services. 2002. Garfield, Stocks Lane, Faldingworth. LAS site code: FSL 02.
  •  Archive: Lindsey Archaeological Services. 2002. Garfield, Stocks Lane, Faldingworth. LCNCC 2002.237.
  •  Report: Lindsey Archaeological Services. 2006. Lincoln Road, Faldingworth. LAS site code: FWLR 06.
  •  Archive: Lindsey Archaeological Services. 2006. Lincoln Road, Faldingworth. LCNCC 2006.153.



Grid reference Centred TF 0653 8459 (895m by 928m) Estimated from sources

Related Monuments/Buildings (1)

Related Events/Activities (3)

External Links (0)

Record last edited

Mar 21 2021 8:35PM


Your feedback is welcome. If you can provide any new information about this record, please contact us.