Monument record MLI43579 - Louth Park Abbey, Keddington


The ruins of a Cistercian Abbey founded in 1139, from Fountains Abbey.

Type and Period (3)

  • (Medieval to Post Medieval - 1137 AD to 1900 AD?)
  • (Medieval to Post Medieval - 1137 AD to 1900 AD?)
  • (Medieval to Modern - 1137 AD to 2050 AD)

Protected Status/Designation

Full Description

A Cistercian Abbey founded in 1139, as a daughter-house of Fountains Abbey. The monks at Fountains were approached by Bishop Alexander of Lincoln in 1137, who initially offered them land at Haverholme, near Sleaford. This land proved unsuitable for the monks' needs, however, and new land was offered by Alexander in 1139, in his parkland near Louth. Water was brought to the site by an aqueduct known as the Monks' Dyke, some two miles long (see PRN 41384). The only parts above ground are bits of two bays of the east end of the church, built of chalk rubble with facing (very little left) of sandstone or chalk. The rest of the site has never been built over or ploughed and considerable remains must exist below ground. {1}{2}{3}{4}{5}{6}{7}{8} The site was partially excavated in 1873. {9} The above ground ruins of an Abbey consisting of fragments of the north and south walls of the chancel of a cruciform church. The outline of the rest of church with a cloister, chapter house, undercroft, dormitories and kitchen to south are covered by grass. The ruins date from the late 12th century. For the full description and the legal address of this listed building please refer to the appropriate List of Buildings of Special Architectural or Historic Interest. {10}

Sources/Archives (10)

  •  Scheduling Record: HBMC. AM 7. SAM 102.
  •  Scheduling Record: HBMC. 1986. AM 107. -.
  •  Bibliographic Reference: D. Knowles and R.N. Hadcock. 1953. Medieval Religious Houses: England and Wales - First Edition. p.111.
  •  Bibliographic Reference: William Page (ed). 1906. The Victoria County History: Lincolnshire - Volume 2. pp.138-41.
  •  Index: Ordnance Survey. Ordnance Survey Card Index. TF 38 NE: 2.
  •  Aerial Photograph: 1945-84. CAMBRIDGE UNIVERSITY COLLECTION. FV17-22; FO30-32,35 (1951).
  •  Aerial Photograph: 1945-84. CAMBRIDGE UNIVERSITY COLLECTION. CFI63 (1978).
  •  Unpublished Document: City and County Museum. Louth Park Abbey. -.
  •  Article in Serial: 1873. Associated Architectural and Archaeological Societies’ Reports and Papers. VXII, pp.22-5.
  •  Index: Department of the Environment. 1986. List of Buildings of Special Architectural or Historic Interest. 8/34.



Grid reference Centred TF 3542 8861 (586m by 582m) Estimated from Sources

Related Monuments/Buildings (3)

Related Events/Activities (1)

External Links (0)

Record last edited

Apr 12 2021 3:26PM


Your feedback is welcome. If you can provide any new information about this record, please contact us.