Monument record MLI42458 - Settlement of Harrington


Harrington is documented during the medieval and early post-medieval periods, but no longer exists as a settlement.

Type and Period (4)

Protected Status/Designation

  • None recorded

Full Description

The name 'Harrington' has three possible alternative meanings. It could mean 'the farmstead associated with, or called after Haering, or Hearra', or the word 'haering' may derive from the Old English word for a stony place, or 'haring' meaning grey wood. {1}{2} Harrington does not appear to be documented in the Domesday Book, although Ross suggests that 'Archintone' is, in fact, Harrington, and that Ivo de Taillebois held a manor there. The first documented reference to Harrington is in 1212 in the Book of Fees, when it is documented that Hugo de Harrington held the third part of one knight's fee of the Fee of Chester in this vill (and in Aswardby and Langton). There are further documentary references throughout the thirteenth and fourteenth centuries, although Harrington is often associated with Aswardby making understanding of the development of Harrington more difficult. The Lay Subsidy Roll of 1332 records 19 people paying the Subsidy in Harrington and Aswardby. The sums involved suggest that these settlements were average in size and wealth for the area, but were small compared to the rest of the county. The Diocesan Returns of 1563 record 7 households in Harrington. There were twelve families recorded in Harrington in the early eighteenth century. In 1811 there were 65 people working in agriculture in the village, which peaked in the nineteenth century at 133 in 1871, and fell to 102 in 1901. Little is known about the decline of the settlement. {3}{4}{5} Some of the village earthworks have been surveyed (PRN 42458b - TF 3656 7173), although further villages closes appear to lie outside the survey area. The remains include crofts, a building, leat and part of a ridge and furrow field system. An earthwork feature (PRN 42458a - TF 3636 7177) lying to the east of the settlement remains, at Black Holt, or Furzes Holt, and was noted in 1952, and has been interpreted as a defensive-type ditch, which is now dry. Forestry has apparently destroyed some of the earthwork. {6}{7}{8}{9}{10}

Sources/Archives (10)

  •  Bibliographic Reference: Kenneth Cameron. 1998. A Dictionary of Lincolnshire Place-Names. p.60.
  •  Report: Lindsey Archaeological Services. 1993. Harrington Village Survey: Preliminary Report for Meeting on July 28th 1993. -.
  •  Bibliographic Reference: Gerald A.J. Hodgett. 1975. Tudor Lincolnshire. -.
  •  Bibliographic Reference: William Page (ed). 1906. The Victoria County History: Lincolnshire - Volume 2. -.
  •  Bibliographic Reference: R.E.G. Cole. 1913. Speculum Dioeceseos Lincolniensis sub Episcopis Gul: Wake et Edm: Gibson A.D.1705-1723. Part 1: Archdeaconries of Lincoln and Stow.
  •  Index: OS CARD INDEX. HARRINGTON. TF 37 SE:18, 1965, F.R.Harper.
  •  Aerial Photograph: 1945-84. CAMBRIDGE UNIVERSITY COLLECTION. AHC11,13 3/6/63; AMV17, 3/1/66; AFQ37 22/6/62.
  •  Aerial Photograph: InnerVisions Aerial Photography. 1993->. InnerVisions Aerial Photographs. 352/0701/17.
  •  Map: Royal Commission on the Historical Monuments of England. 1992-1996. National Mapping Programme. TF3671: LI.30.8.1-4.



Grid reference Centred TF 3655 7156 (561m by 628m) Estimated from sources

Related Monuments/Buildings (1)

Related Events/Activities (1)

External Links (0)

Record last edited

May 9 2022 10:44PM


Your feedback is welcome. If you can provide any new information about this record, please contact us.