Building record MLI30626 - Browne's Hospital, Broad Street, Stamford


An almshouse built in 1475, then almost completely rebuilt in 1870, although retaining some original features.

Type and Period (2)

  • (Medieval to Modern - 1475 AD to 2050 AD)
  • (Medieval to Modern - 1475 AD to 2050 AD)

Protected Status/Designation

Full Description

PRN 30626 The Hospital of All Saints, founded by William Brown in 1485. It had alterations and additions, including a tower, made to the building in the 19th century. {1}{2}{3}{4} The date of origin is 1475, and it was called originally Claymonte Hospital. Its statutes were redrawn up in 1489 on Browne's death. {5} Stained glass in this building can be found in the Chapel, the Audit Room and the Entrance Passage, which retain much of their original glazing. The glass dates to about 1475 and the style and iconography is of great interest. {6} Browne's Hospital is one of the best surviving medieval almshouses in England and is unusual as it was built with two floors. The building was completed in 1475. The audit room was lit by four Perpendicular Gothic windows and might have been used as a guildhall, possibly for the Guild of All Saints. In 1870, the hospital was almost completely rebuilt by James Fowler, although the chapel still retains many original features. {7} For the full description and the legal address of this listed building please refer to the appropriate List of Buildings of Special Architectural or Historic Interest. {8} Browne's Hospital was founded in 1475-76 by William Browne, merchant. It consisted of a courtyard with the main range including the chapel, dormitory, Audit Room and gatehouse on the south, a cloister on the west and service accommodation and gardens to the north. It provided accommodation for ten poor men and two women under the supervision of a warden and confrater. The chapel was 'beautified' between 1769 and 1785 and the porch was rebuilt in 1808. Major alterations and restoration were carried out in 1870 by James Fowler, including alterations to the main range and the replacement of the service buildings with a range of new almshouses in the Gothic style. The cubicles in the former dormitory were also removed. The main range retains early stained glass of special importance as well as various early fittings including a medieval alms box, wooden chair and chests, a late 15th century screen and 15th century chapel stalls with carved misericords and hand rests. The designs of the carvings on the chapel stalls include mermaids, dragons, eagles and beasts. {9}{10}{11}{12}

Sources/Archives (12)

  •  Index: SMR cards for Stamford. STAMFORD. TF 00 NW:BE -.
  •  Index: Ordnance Survey. O.S. cards for Stamford. STAMFORD. TF 00 NW:4,1961, BHS.
  •  Bibliographic Reference: William Page (ed). 1906. The Victoria County History: Lincolnshire - Volume 2. VOL 2, P 234.
  •  Bibliographic Reference: JONES, P.T.. 1959. STAMFORD CHURCHES. -.
  •  Bibliographic Reference: Hartley, J.S. and Rogers, A.. 1974. The Religious Foundations of Medieval Stamford. No 22, p 48.
  •  Bibliographic Reference: Penny Hebgin-Barnes. 1996. The Medieval Stained Glass of the County of Lincolnshire. pp. 288-96.
  •  Bibliographic Reference: Smith, M.. 1990. Stamford Almshouses. p.6.
  •  Index: Department of the Environment. 1974. List of Buildings of Special Architectural or Historic Interest. 1/54.
  •  Bibliographic Reference: Royal Commission on the Historical Monuments of England. 1977. An Inventory of Historical Monuments. The Town of Stamford. No 48, pp 37-42.
  •  Bibliographic Reference: Nikolaus Pevsner and John Harris, with Nicholas Antram. 1989. Buildings of England: Lincolnshire (Second Edition). pp 697-98.
  •  Bibliographic Reference: Linda Crust. 2002. Lincolnshire Almshouses: Nine Centuries of Charitable Housing. pp 8-13; No 41, p20.
  •  Bibliographic Reference: ROGERS, A.. 1970. The Medieval Buildings of Stamford. No 7, pp 21-22.



Grid reference Centred TF 0295 0727 (61m by 66m)

Related Monuments/Buildings (2)

Related Events/Activities (1)

External Links (0)

Record last edited

Dec 6 2023 10:32AM


Your feedback is welcome. If you can provide any new information about this record, please contact us.