Building record MLI22458 - Church of St Peter and St Paul, Gosberton

Summary

A church with architectural features dating from the 12th century, and restored in 1896.

Type and Period (2)

Protected Status/Designation

Full Description

This church retains the jambs of a Norman arch in the north transept. During restoration, the bases of the Norman arcade were discovered. With these exceptions the church is Decorated and Perpendicular, and considerably restored. The chancel was largely rebuilt and extended in 1896. {1}{2}{3}{4} The Church of St Peter and St Paul has a Norman nook-shaft of arch in the north transept. The bases of Norman arcade were also found in excavations in 1896. There are Decorated transept windows, and tower. There is a Perpendicular crocketed spire, south aisle windows, south porch and clerestory. There is a Decorated south chancel chapel, sedilia and piscina. There is a monument to 14th century knight and wife, a Perpendicular octagonal font and a Decorated wooden screen, showing angels with censors. {5} A church with architectural features dating from the 12th century, and restored in 1896. It is built of squared limestone rubble and ashlar with lead roofs. The nave is battlemented with crocketed pinnacles. There is a 14th century crossing tower and a 14th century gabled south porch. Inside there are early 15th century, 4 bay nave arcades. The 19th century roof is in 15th century form. In the south transept on a chest are a pair of recumbent effigies, of a knight and lady. For the full description and the legal address of this listed building please refer to the appropriate List of Buildings of Special Architectural or Historic Interest. {6} Two medieval corbel heads were found when the west end was rebuilt in the 1970s. Part of a medieval grave slab with lettering around the edge was also found during the works. {7} In the south wall of the south transept and underneath a cusped ogee arch on a tomb-chest is an effigy of a knight dated to about 1310-20. The figure is in realistically represented mail. It is well preserved, made of limestone, and the hands are in prayer. The feet rest on top of a lion. The figure has a St George cross shield which has been painted in modern times. The identity of the knight is uncertain although Sir Ranulph de Rye who died after 1312 is a possibility. Beside the knight is a separate medieval recumbent effigy of a lady. {8}

Sources/Archives (8)

  •  Article in Serial: SUTTON, A.F.. 1901. Associated Architectural and Archaeological Societies’ Reports and Papers. vol.26, pp.13-4.
  •  Bibliographic Reference: J. Charles Cox. 1924. Little Guide: Lincolnshire (Second Edition). p.139.
  •  Index: Ordnance Survey. Ordnance Survey Card Index. TF 23 SW: 4.
  •  Index: Lincolnshire County Council. Sites and Monuments Record Card Index. TF 23 SW: L.
  •  Bibliographic Reference: Nikolaus Pevsner and John Harris, with Nicholas Antram. 1989. Buildings of England: Lincolnshire (Second Edition). pp.310-1.
  •  Index: Department of the Environment. 1988. List of Buildings of Special Architectural or Historic Interest. 4/66.
  •  Verbal Communication: HEALEY, R.H.. 1997. Verbal report from Hilary Healey. -.
  •  Bibliographic Reference: Downing, Mark. 2010. Medieval Military Monuments in Lincolnshire. No.13, pp.34-6.

Map

Location

Grid reference Centred TF 23750 31756 (42m by 31m)
Civil Parish GOSBERTON, SOUTH HOLLAND, LINCOLNSHIRE

Related Monuments/Buildings (3)

Related Events/Activities (0)

External Links (0)

Record last edited

Mar 28 2021 1:34PM

Feedback?

Your feedback is welcome. If you can provide any new information about this record, please contact us.