Listed Building: CHURCH OF ALL SAINTS (1194848)
Please read our guidance page about heritage designations.
|Authority||Department of the Environment|
|Date assigned||20 September 1966|
|Date last amended|
BARROWBY SK8736 CHURCH STREET 1315-0/12/13 Church of All Saints 20/09/66 GV I Parish Church. Mainly C14, with C13 fragments and C15 south porch. Restored 1854 and 1889. Organ chamber and vestry 1870. Coursed squared ironstone and limestone ashlar with Welsh slate and Westmorland slate roofs. Decorated and Perpendicular styles. Windows have pointed arches and hood moulds. Chancel, vestry and organ chamber, nave with aisles, south porch, west tower with spire. Chancel, mid and late C14, 2 bays, has coped east gable with cross and a late C14 3-light window with panel tracery. South side has to east a 2-light window with cusped heads, mid C14, and to west a larger 3-light window with panel tracery, late C14. Between the windows, a blocked early C13 priest's door with trefoil head. North side has lean-to vestry with a reset C13 doorway to north and an east window with Y-tracery. Organ chamber has a central buttress flanked to east by a single lancet and to west by a traceried 2-light window. Nave, C14, has coped east gable with C19 trefoil round window, external gable stack, and cross. Buttressed south aisle, 4 bays, has coped parapet with ballflower frieze and gargoyles. Three mid C14 windows with different patterns of flowing tracery. Single lancet at west end. Similar north aisle, C13 and late C14, has three 3-light windows, late C14, with panel tracery. Blocked C14 north door, double chamfered. West end has a C13 2-light window with trefoil above. South porch has coped gable with cross and a renewed figure in a niche over a C13 double chamfered door with hood mould. On either side, a small C13 2-light pointed arched window. Square west tower, 3 stages, has diagonal west buttresses, the lowest stage gabled. Moulded plinth, string courses, ballflower frieze with gargoyles, crenellated parapet. To west, an early C13 single lancet with hood mould. Above, a single light flat headed window on each side. Bell stage has on each side a 2-light pointed arched bell opening with Decorated tracery and hood mould. Set back octagonal spire has 2 tiers of gabled lucarnes on alternate faces, and C18 weathercock. Interior, rendered, has C14 double chamfered chancel arch with octagonal responds. C15 traceried wooden screen with central portion c1927. Arch braced single purlin roof. East end has a 3-light window with stained glass, 1884, and a traceried wooden reredos, 1920. South side has a C13 piscina and triple sedilia, restored C19, and blocked doorway flanked by stained glass windows, 1898 and 1904, the latter by Heaton, Butler & Bayne. North side has to east a blocked C13 doorway with shafts and a gabled head aumbry. To west, a C19 2 bay arcade in C14 style. Nave has C19 arch braced hammer beam roof. C14 arcades, 4 bays, with double chamfered arches with hood moulds, and octagonal piers and responds. The earlier north arcade has a short remnant of wall in the centre. The south aisle, reroofed 1889, has to east of the door a C14 niche. 2 windows with C19 patterned stained glass and one with glass c1956 by Francis Skeat. North aisle has a stained glass window to east, c1913, with a C14 tomb recess below it, and a window to west, c1935, by Heaton, Butler & Laneton. East end has a segmental arch containing a blank lancet, C19. Tower arch, C14, has ballflower capitals, hood mould and mask stops. Tower chamber has C13 west window with stained glass 1937. Fittings include outstanding C14 font with pierced octagonal stem enclosing a devil, and elaborately traceried bowl. Octagonal traceried oak pulpit, C19, made from C15 fragments. Mid C19 benches and stalls, and late C19 brass lectern and litany desk. Memorials include brasses to Nicholas Deen, 1479, and James Deen and wife, 1508. Wall tablet, 1674, to Dr. Hurst, Chaplain to Charles I. Various tablets, early and mid C19. Brass war memorial tablet with figures and segmental pediment, c1920. (The Buildings of England: Pevsner N, Harris J & Antram N: Lincolnshire: London: 1964-1989: 119; de Ville E: Guide to Barrowby Parish Church: Grantham: 1977-). Listing NGR: SK8786336493
External Links (1)
- View details on the National Heritage List for England (Link to The National Heritage List for England)
|Grid reference||SK 87863 36493 (point)|
|Civil Parish||BARROWBY, SOUTH KESTEVEN, LINCOLNSHIRE|
Related Monuments/Buildings (1)
Record last edited
Apr 17 2009 4:44PM
Your feedback is welcome. If you can provide any new information about this record, please contact us.