Listed Building: CHURCH OF ST MARY AND THE HOLY ROOD (1064449)
Please read our guidance page about heritage designations.
|Authority||Department of the Environment|
|Date assigned||07 February 1967|
|Date last amended|
DONINGTON CHURCH STREET TF 23 NW (west side) 2/15 Church of St.Mary and the Holy Rood 7.2.67 G.V. I Parish church. C13, C14, C15, restored in 1868 and 1896. Limestone ashlar, lead roofs. Southwestern tower and spire. Clerestoried nave, aisles, chancel. Battlemented nave, aisles with moulded copings. Bell moulded plinth. C19 vestry and boiler house. Western door in moulded pointed surround, with crocketed ogee canopy with fleurons. Above a 5 light C15 window, with brattishing. In the aisles are single late C14 four light panel traceried windows, the northern one with moulded mullions. North aisle has stepped gabled buttresses and moulded parapet. Continuously moulded C14 door and 4 three light windows with panel tracery and chamfered surrounds. One blocked C19 doorway. In the east end of the aisle a 3 light C15 window with ogee heads to the lights and triangular head. Clerestory has 7 paired C15 lights with cusped ogee heads and quatrefoils. In the east end of the chancel a 5 light C19 window in Perpendicular style, and below 2 blocked 4 centred arched doorways. On the south side are 3 C19 2 light windows with Geometric tracery and a C13 pointed doorway with hob nail imposts and roll moulded head. In the east wall of the south aisle a single C14 4 light window with elaborate cusped tracery, and on the south side are 3 three light C14 windows with cusped ogee tracery, moulded mullions, triangular heads, hood moulds with human heads. The clerestory has 7 paired lights as the north side. Tall 3 stage south western tower has stepped corner gabled buttresses with crocketed gabled ogee niches and battlemented parapet. Set back spire with 3 tiers of alternating lucarnes. To the belfry stage tall 2 light openings, trefoil headed with quatrefoils. On the east and west sides are single 2 light windows with quatrefoil and trefoil headed lancets. On the south side a deeply moulded outer doorway with 3 orders having annular capitals. Above an ogee headed niche and crocketed gable. The tower porch has a ribbed vault with bell hole. The inner door is of 4 orders with slender shafts to reveals. Above a crocketed ogee niche contains a seated figure. Boiler house on west side, dated 1868 on rainwater hopper. Interior. 7 bay C15 nave arcades with octagonal piers, bell moulded bases, octagonal brattished capitals, double chamfered arches. Elaborate figured corbels to responds. Nave roof retains one original braced truss, with figured stone corbels. In the east end of the north aisle a C15 4 light traceried window now open to the added vestry, reached via narrow pointed doorway. In the south east corner of the aisle an ogee headed piscina. In the south wall of the south aisle a similar piscina, and at the tower angle blocked pointed doorway. Tall C15 double chamfered chancel arch with octagonal respond to southern side. The northern side has an impost only, and door to the now vanished rood loft. In the chancel a square piscina with fluted basin in the south wall. At the east end the elaborate C19 mosaic and marble reredos is flanked by single C15 doorways with 4 centred arched heads. In the north side a short flight of steps is contained in an arched recess. Both doorways and steps possibly lead to vestries or relic rooms. Tiled floor to chancel. Fittings. In the chancel an early C13 stone chair, arm with dogtoothing, a rolled terminal, with engaged octagonal column to front. Churchwardens' chest. Tall late C14 octagonal font with traceried and crocketed panels. C18 graveyard shelter or hud. Monuments. Ashlar C19 wall tablet in Gothic taste to Rev. John Wilson, d.1850, cusped ogee inscription panel with pinnacles and statue of saints at the sides. Signed Kent. Also white marble wall tablet to Capt. Matthew Flinders RN, navigator, who first circumnavigated Australia,born in Donington 1774, d.1814. Draped urn, fluted pilasters, relief carving of ship under full sail with Flinders at his telescope on decks. In the south aisle a wall plaque to Antony Birks, author, d.1769. Open pedimented plaque with egg and dart frieze. At the west end a classical scrolled plaque with flowers, fruit and memento mori to Mary Long, d.1716. Listing NGR: TF2082035941
External Links (1)
- View details on the National Heritage List for England (Link to The National Heritage List for England)
|Grid reference||TF 20824 35943 (point)|
|Civil Parish||DONINGTON, SOUTH HOLLAND, LINCOLNSHIRE|
Related Monuments/Buildings (1)
Record last edited
Mar 28 2021 11:19AM
Your feedback is welcome. If you can provide any new information about this record, please contact us.