Listed Building: CHURCH OF ST GERMAIN (1064122)

Please read our .

Grade II*
Authority Department of the Environment
Date assigned 30 November 1966
Date last amended


TF 07 NW SCOTHERN CHURCH STREET 5/64 Church of St. Germain 30.11.66 II* Parish church. c.1200, late C13, c.1590, 1796, 1840, 1876 restoration by Kirke of Sleaford, 1904 rebuilding of chancel and vestry. Coursed and squared limestone rubble, with some red brick and ashlar dressings, plain tiled roofs with stone coped gables. Western tower, nave, chancel, north transept and vestry. The tower of c.1591 has 3 stages with plinth, clasping angle buttresses, 2 moulded string courses and embattled parapet with pinnacles and gargoyles. In the belfry stage are paired louvred 2 centred arched lights set in semi-circular headed chamfered openings. To south wall first stage is a semi-circular headed window with double chamfered surround. The west door is a reused C13 double chamfered pointed opening with hood mould and human head label stops. Above is a double chamfered pointed headed window and to second stage an C18 clock in a moulded stone surround. Up the N.E. angle of the tower is a staircase lit by plain vertical lights. The west wall of the north aisle has a Cl9 window with above a square opening to roof space, to the right of which is a reset medieval stone head. The C19 transept, in squared rubble, has a corbelled oversailing eaves course. In the north wall is a 4 light window in C16 style, and in the east wall is a doorway with chamfered surround and cornice. Beyond, the north wall of the north aisle has a C19 2 light window with a trefoil over. The C20 vestry has a single light window with scissor arched head, and a similar window in the east wall. The east wall of the chancel has a 3 light window with derived curvilinear tracery. To south wall are 3 similar windows with beneath a priests' door. The south wall of the nave has 2 C19 2 light windows with trefoils over and a dentillated brick eaves course. Interior. The tower arch c.1200 has massive half engaged circular responds and abaci with reset double chamfered arch. The chancel arch of c.1200, and reset, consists of triple shafts with bases and developed waterleaf capitals supporting an ill fitting double chamfered arch. C20 arch to organ chamber. Nave has a C18 dentillated cornice and a stanchion supporting a lintel over entrance to transept. All fittings including font are C19 or later. On the transept east wall is a painted royal arms dated 1796. By the pulpit is a fine early C13 grave marker with tapering sides and relief cross fleury with petalled pellets between the arms of the cross. The C20 reredos incorporates a possibly earlier painting of the Adoration of the Magi. Listing NGR: TF0334977410

External Links (1)

Sources (0)



Grid reference TF 03349 77410 (point)
Map sheet TF07NW

Related Monuments/Buildings (1)

Record last edited

Apr 17 2009 4:44PM


Your feedback is welcome. If you can provide any new information about this record, please contact us.