Listed Building: FRAMPTON HALL (1147586)
Please read our guidance page about heritage designations.
|Authority||Department of the Environment|
|Date assigned||19 November 1951|
|Date last amended|
TF 3239-3339 FRAMPTON MIDDLEGATE ROAD (north side) 15/59 Frampton Hall 19.11.51 G.V. II* Small country house. Built in 1725 for Coney Tunnard, extended late C18 and skilfully remodelled in matching style in 1873. Red brick in Flemish bond with limestone ashlar and render dressings. Lead roof. Red brick wall stacks in Tudor revival style with corbelled out casteilated tops. Originally 5 bay, 3 storey, plus basement, box, with moulded ashlar plinth and bands, cornice, brick panelled parapet. Rusticated giant corner pilasters. The central entrance bay is in ashiar with rusticated quoins, slightly advanced and crowned with a segmental pediment containing an inscribed cartouche bearing date 1725 surmounted by a rabbit (Coney symbol). The central 8 panel door with plain overlight is flanked by fluted Corinthian pilasters supporting an open segmental pediment bearing an urn. The door is reached up a flight of 4 steps flanked by lions and 4 semi-circular steps. Over the door is a plain sash with moulded ashlar architrave and pilasters, supporting a cornice with grotesque keystone. The second floor central smaller window has scrolls to the base. The central openings are flanked by pairs of plain sashes with splayed rubbed brick arches and panelled ashlar keystones. The 1725 block was extended late C18 by flanking 2 storey 2 bay wings. These in turn were altered C19 and the right hand wing extended by a further bay in matching style, re-using old materials. The rusticated corner pilasters are in render, the parapet has recessed panels with blank shields between. The keystones of the central windows on the right hand wing bear the arms of the C19 owner, Major C. T. J. Moore. Beyond to the right is a single storey bay with semi-circular headed window. In the left hand side is a 2 storey C19 ashiar bay window bearing a coat of arms. To the rear is an added C19 canted entrance porch and on the flanking wings are single fine cast lead rainwater hoppers, bearing the date 1725 and the Coney rebus. The lead plaques to the downpipe are decorated with beasts and birds. These all appear to have been moved from the side walls when the wings were added. At the rear of the right hand wing is a rainwater head inscribed "CTJM 1873". Interior. The house retains a number of original features which have been carefully incorporated into the remodelling of C19. The dogleg stair, which appears to have been reset, has 3 balusters to the tread, one fluted, twisted and turned. The strings are carved with scrolled leaves. Overdoor in entrance hall in stucco with dentil cornice and shells. The principal rooms have full height bolection moulded panelling, that in the right hand room with a dentillated cornice. The joinery has been amended to suit the C19 alterations. The wing on the left contains a C19 ballroom with a reused C18 bolection moulded marble fireplace surround. In the basement, the side walls of the original house contain openings, one with contemporary glazing, showing that the house has been extended. C19 piaster ceiling over first floor landing. First floor room has egg and dart frieze with scrolled modillion cornice and Corinthian pilasters. C18 marble fire surrounds with round corners to the opening used throughout. Coney Tunnard who built the house was High Sheriff of the County. Listing NGR: TF3251639352
External Links (1)
- View details on the National Heritage List for England (Link to The National Heritage List for England)
|Grid reference||TF 32516 39352 (point)|
|Civil Parish||FRAMPTON, BOSTON, LINCOLNSHIRE|
Related Monuments/Buildings (1)
Record last edited
Apr 17 2009 4:44PM
Your feedback is welcome. If you can provide any new information about this record, please contact us.