Building record MLI95144 - 40 St Mary's Street, Stamford


40 St Mary's Street, Stamford

Type and Period (6)

  • (Medieval to Modern - 1475 AD to 2050 AD)
  • (Medieval to Modern - 1475 AD to 2050 AD)
  • (Medieval to Modern - 1475 AD to 2050 AD)
  • (Post Medieval to Modern - 1850 AD? to 2050 AD)
  • (Medieval to Post Medieval - 1475 AD to 1599 AD)
  • (Medieval to Post Medieval - 1475 AD to 1699 AD?)

Protected Status/Designation

Full Description

PRN 37646 This two storey house dates to the late 15th or early 16th century. The upper storey overhangs and is half timbered. It has an old slate roof. For the full description and the legal address of this listed building please refer to the appropriate List of Buildings of Special Architectural or Historic Interest. {1} This timber framed house is probably 16th century [it may be slightly earlier - see below] with a rear wing which may be 17th century. It has a first floor jetty on the street front but the ground floor is modern. The timber framing on the upper storey has recently exposed and heavily restored close-studding and modern windows. Internally, the pattern of beams in the main range shows the original ground floor plan. In 1974 a late medieval green-glazed ridge tile was discovered in the roof space. {2} This house is described as 'probably the finest timber-framed house to survive in Stamford'. It dates from the very end of the 15th century. It has a jetty running the full length of the frontage and exposed first floor timbers (which were formerly rendered). Internally, much of the original postwork survives although there are some later, moulded, beams. It originally had a cross passage and domestic range to the east and a hall to the west. The roof is original and the house always had two storeys although the attic rooms and dormer windows are a later insertion. {4}

Sources/Archives (4)

  •  Index: Department of the Environment. 1974. List of Buildings of Special Architectural or Historic Interest. 1/287.
  •  Bibliographic Reference: Royal Commission on the Historical Monuments of England. 1977. An Inventory of Historical Monuments. The Town of Stamford. No 368, p 143, plate 79.
  •  Bibliographic Reference: Nikolaus Pevsner and John Harris, with Nicholas Antram. 1989. Buildings of England: Lincolnshire (Second Edition). p 709.
  •  Bibliographic Reference: ROGERS, A.. 1970. The Medieval Buildings of Stamford. No 84, pp 51-52.



Grid reference Centred TF 0294 0702 (13m by 33m)

Related Monuments/Buildings (0)

Related Events/Activities (1)

External Links (0)

Record last edited

Mar 21 2021 8:35PM


Your feedback is welcome. If you can provide any new information about this record, please contact us.