Building record MLI94542 - Spalding United Reform Church and Sunday School, Pinchbeck Road, Spalding

Summary

Independent chapel and Sunday School, Pinchbeck Road, Spalding

Type and Period (2)

Protected Status/Designation

Full Description

The Sunday School is a neo-Classical brick building built in 1856. It has a plaque reading 'Sunday School MDCCCCVI'. For the full description and the legal address of this listed building please refer to the appropriate List of Buildings of Special Architectural or Historic Interest. It is the Sunday School building that is listed and not the Chapel building. {1}{2} The Independent chapel and Sunday School were visited in 2010. The chapel is still in use as a United Reformed Church. It was built in 1821 for a new congregation gathered by a student from Hoxton Academy following an unsuccessful attempt to begin a particular baptist interest. Galleries were added in the 1840s, and in 1856, and it was refronted in 1910. The chapel purchased the adjacent Spread Eagle public house and built the Sunday School on the site in 1856. The chapel is constructed of red brick with stone dressings and has a hipped roof with modern concrete tiles. The fa├žade has stone quoins and has three bays with two tiers of round-arched windows which have stone dressings, including keystones, margin lights and stained glass. The central round-arched doorway is approached by three steps with iron railings, and a boot scraper, and has a keystone with a date of 1910. Above the paired doors is a light with stained leaded glass. The side elevations have two bays of round-headed windows . An original stone tablet inscribed 'INDEPENDENT CHAPEL 1821' is reset above the doorway and there is a long uninterrupted balustrade on the wall top. The adjacent Sunday-school was built in 1856 in neo-classical style with a pediment and cornice. It has three bays with pilasters and pediment. The overhanging eaves and cornice are supported on brackets. {3}{4}{5}

Sources/Archives (5)

  •  Index: Department of the Environment. 1975. List of Buildings of Special Architectural or Historic Interest. 1/109.
  •  Report: South Holland District Council. 2007. Spalding Conservation Area Appraisal. Pinchbeck Road character area.
  •  Digital Archive: Lincolnshire County Council. 2004-2009. GIS layer depicting locations and survival of nonconformist chapels. 25401.
  •  Bibliographic Reference: Nikolaus Pevsner and John Harris, with Nicholas Antram. 1989. Buildings of England: Lincolnshire (Second Edition). p678.
  •  Bibliographic Reference: Christopher Stell. 2002. Inventory of Nonconformist Chapels and Meeting Houses in Eastern England. p223.

Map

Location

Grid reference Centred TF 24789 22862 (30m by 33m)
Civil Parish SPALDING, SOUTH HOLLAND, LINCOLNSHIRE

Related Monuments/Buildings (0)

Related Events/Activities (3)

External Links (0)

Record last edited

Mar 21 2021 8:35PM

Feedback?

Your feedback is welcome. If you can provide any new information about this record, please contact us.