Monument record MLI91014 - Settlement of Kelby


The settlement of Kelby is first mentioned in the Domesday Book and survives to the present day

Type and Period (1)

  • (Early Medieval/Dark Age to Modern - 1000 AD to 2050 AD)

Protected Status/Designation

Full Description

PRN 65096 [This record includes information from PRN 62231, now deleted.] Kelby is first mentioned in the Domesday Book. Land there belonged to the Bishop of Durham and Guy of Craon. There was a minimum population of 9 villeins, 3 sokemen and 3 bordars. {1} The name Kelby is derived from the Old English personal name Ceol and the Old Danish suffix 'by' meaning a farmstead or village. The ‘K’ indicates a Scandinavian influence. {2} The Lay Subsidy of 1334 records the settlement's wealth as £2 4s, the poorest in its wapentake (Aswardhurn). {3} Kelby is not mentioned in the Diocesan Return of 1563, and is mentioned with Haydor and Culverthorpe in the Diocesan census returns of the early 18th century. {4}{5} By 1801 there were 71 people resident at Kelby, rising to 124 in 1821 before falling again to 68 by 1901. {6} The medieval and post medieval landholding in the parish is discussed by Revd Trollope. {7} During a watching brief in the churchyard, a probable 11th century soil layer (PRN 65096a) was identified. This may represent the ground surface prior to the construction of the church, and the presence of 11th century pottery implies settlement in this area before the church was built there. {8}{9}

Sources/Archives (10)

  •  Bibliographic Reference: C.W. Foster and T. Longley. 1924. Lincolnshire Domesday and Lindsey Survey. 3/35; 57/34.
  •  Bibliographic Reference: Kenneth Cameron. 1998. A Dictionary of Lincolnshire Place-Names. p 72.
  •  Article in Serial: R.E. Glasscock. 1964. 'The Lay Subsidy of 1334 for Lincolnshire' in Lincolnshire Architectural and Archaeological Society Reports and Papers. vol.10.2, p.123.
  •  Bibliographic Reference: Gerald A.J. Hodgett. 1975. Tudor Lincolnshire. Appendix 1; pp 189-99.
  •  Bibliographic Reference: R.E.G. Cole. 1913. Speculum Dioeceseos Lincolniensis sub Episcopis Gul: Wake et Edm: Gibson A.D.1705-1723. Part 1: Archdeaconries of Lincoln and Stow. p 63.
  •  Bibliographic Reference: William Page (ed). 1906. The Victoria County History: Lincolnshire - Volume 2. p 360.
  •  Bibliographic Reference: Edward Trollope. 1872. Sleaford and the Wapentakes of Flaxwell and Aswardhurn in the County of Lincoln. p 412.
  •  Bibliographic Reference: William White. 1856. History, Gazetteer and Directory of Lincolnshire - Second Edition. p 543.
  •  Report: Archaeological Project Services. 1999. Archaeological Watching Brief at St Andrew's Church, Kelby. KSA98.
  •  Archive: Archaeological Project Services. 1999. Archaeological Watching Brief at St Andrew's Church, Kelby. LCNCC 273.98.



Grid reference Centred TF 00414 41393 (255m by 329m)

Related Monuments/Buildings (1)

Related Events/Activities (1)

External Links (0)

Record last edited

Mar 21 2021 8:35PM


Your feedback is welcome. If you can provide any new information about this record, please contact us.