Monument record MLI90332 - Settlement of Aswarby


The settlement of Aswarby is first mentioned in the Domesday Book and survives to the present.

Type and Period (3)

  • (Early Medieval/Dark Age to Modern - 1000 AD to 2050 AD)
  • (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
  • (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)

Protected Status/Designation

Full Description

Aswarby is first mentioned in the Domesday Book. Land there was owned by Gilbert de Gand and Guy of Craon. It had a minimum population of 42 sokemen and 4 bordars. A church and two parts of another church are also mentioned. {1} The place name 'Aswardby' is of old Danish origin and refers to the farmstead or village of Aswarth. {2} The Lay Subsidy of 1334 lists the settlement's wealth as £3 8s 7 3/4d, below average for its wapentake (Aswardhurn). {3} The Diocesan Return of 1563 records 22 households in the parish. {4} By the late 17th/early 18th century, there were 21 families in the parish, falling to 19. {5} Aswarby was briefly famous as a spa or medicinal spring in the 1730s and the local inn was said to cater for 'vast crowds'. {6}{7} By 1801 there were 113 people living in the parish, rising to 142 in 1871 before falling again to 122 by 1901. {8} The current layout of the village is influenced by the Aswarby Park Estate, and many of the buildings are former estate cottages or offices, built in 1845-51, after the original village centre was moved to make way for an improved and enlarged park. The earlier village is said to have been located about 500 yards to the south-west of its current site, centred around TF 0654 3987. Earthwork remains of the earlier medieval village were discerned in that area on aerial photography, examined as part of the National Mapping Programme. {9}{10}{11}

Sources/Archives (11)

  •  Bibliographic Reference: C.W. Foster and T. Longley. 1924. Lincolnshire Domesday and Lindsey Survey. 24/79, 103; 57/32.
  •  Bibliographic Reference: Kenneth Cameron. 1998. A Dictionary of Lincolnshire Place-Names. p.5.
  •  Article in Serial: R.E. Glasscock. 1964. 'The Lay Subsidy of 1334 for Lincolnshire' in Lincolnshire Architectural and Archaeological Society Reports and Papers. vol.10.2, p.123.
  •  Bibliographic Reference: Gerald A.J. Hodgett. 1975. Tudor Lincolnshire. p.190.
  •  Bibliographic Reference: R.E.G. Cole. 1913. Speculum Dioeceseos Lincolniensis sub Episcopis Gul: Wake et Edm: Gibson A.D.1705-1723. Part 1: Archdeaconries of Lincoln and Stow. p.7.
  •  Bibliographic Reference: Edward Trollope. 1872. Sleaford and the Wapentakes of Flaxwell and Aswardhurn in the County of Lincoln. pp.331-2.
  •  Bibliographic Reference: William White. 1856. History, Gazetteer and Directory of Lincolnshire - Second Edition. pp.538-9.
  •  Bibliographic Reference: William Page (ed). 1906. The Victoria County History: Lincolnshire - Volume 2. p.359.
  •  Bibliographic Reference: Nikolaus Pevsner and John Harris, with Nicholas Antram. 1989. Buildings of England: Lincolnshire (Second Edition). p.109.
  •  Bibliographic Reference: Terence R. Leach. 1990. Lincolnshire Country Houses and their Families - Part One. p.43.
  •  Map: Royal Commission on the Historical Monuments of England. 1992-1996. National Mapping Programme. TF0639: LI.827.12.1-2.



Grid reference Centred TF 0654 3991 (699m by 428m) Estimated from sources

Related Monuments/Buildings (0)

Related Events/Activities (0)

External Links (0)

Record last edited

Mar 21 2021 8:35PM


Your feedback is welcome. If you can provide any new information about this record, please contact us.