Monument record MLI89432 - Settlement of Evedon


The settlement of Evedon is mentioned in the Domesday Book and survives to the present day

Type and Period (1)

  • (Early Medieval/Dark Age to Modern - 1000 AD to 2050 AD)

Protected Status/Designation

  • None recorded

Full Description

PRN 64256 Evedon is first mentioned in the Domesday Book. It belonged to the King, the Bishop of Durham, the Bishop of Lincoln, Colsuain, Geoffrey Alselin and Colegrim. It had a minumum population of 15 sokemen, 4 bordars and 7 villeins. A church and 2 mills are also mentioned as well as "the site of a mill". {1} The place name Evedon is Old English in origin and means "Eafa's hill". {2} The Lay Subsidy of 1334 assesses Evedon's wealth as £3 8s 0 3/4d, below average for its wapentake (Aswardhurn). {3} The Dioscesan Returns of 1563 record Evedon's population as only 13 households. {4} The population of the village had not risen by the late 17th/early 18th century, when it was still home 13 families, falling to 9. {5} In 1801, the village had a population of 86 people. This rose to 91 in 1841, before falling again to 62 in 1861. It had risen again to 80 by 1901. {6} The landowners in Evedon from the medieval period to the 19th century are discussed by Trollope. {7} Evedon is mentioned briefly in White's "Directory", and a few of its residents are named. {8} Possible late medieval crofts are visible as cropmarks around the village. {9} Evedon is listed as a shrunken medieval settlement in Healey & Roffe's gazetteer. {10}

Sources/Archives (11)

  •  Bibliographic Reference: C.W. Foster and T. Longley. 1924. Lincolnshire Domesday and Lindsey Survey. 1/2; 3/36, 38; 7/50; 26/52; 64/10; 67/4.
  •  Bibliographic Reference: Kenneth Cameron. 1998. A Dictionary of Lincolnshire Place-Names. p 42.
  •  Article in Serial: R.E. Glasscock. 1964. 'The Lay Subsidy of 1334 for Lincolnshire' in Lincolnshire Architectural and Archaeological Society Reports and Papers. vol.10.2, p.123.
  •  Bibliographic Reference: Gerald A.J. Hodgett. 1975. Tudor Lincolnshire. p 190.
  •  Bibliographic Reference: R.E.G. Cole. 1913. Speculum Dioeceseos Lincolniensis sub Episcopis Gul: Wake et Edm: Gibson A.D.1705-1723. Part 1: Archdeaconries of Lincoln and Stow. p 46.
  •  Bibliographic Reference: William Page (ed). 1906. The Victoria County History: Lincolnshire - Volume 2. p 360.
  •  Bibliographic Reference: Edward Trollope. 1872. Sleaford and the Wapentakes of Flaxwell and Aswardhurn in the County of Lincoln. pp 236-38.
  •  Bibliographic Reference: William White. 1856. History, Gazetteer and Directory of Lincolnshire - Second Edition. p 448.
  •  Map: Royal Commission on the Historical Monuments of England. 1992-1996. National Mapping Programme. TF 04 NE: 0947; LI 852.1.
  •  Unpublished Document: R.H. Healey and D.R. Roffe. Some Medieval and Later Earthworks in South Lincolnshire. Gazetteer.
  •  Bibliographic Reference: Yerburgh, Dr Richard. 1825. Sketches Illustrative of the Topography and History of New and Old Sleaford. pp 197-202.



Grid reference Centred TF 09613 47503 (724m by 216m)

Related Monuments/Buildings (0)

Related Events/Activities (0)

External Links (0)

Record last edited

Mar 21 2021 8:35PM


Your feedback is welcome. If you can provide any new information about this record, please contact us.