Monument record MLI89425 - Settlement of Ewerby


The settlement of Ewerby is mentioned in the Domesday Book and survives to the present day.

Type and Period (1)

  • (Early Medieval/Dark Age to Modern - 1000 AD to 2050 AD)

Protected Status/Designation

  • None recorded

Full Description

PRN 64253 The village of Ewerby is first mentioned in the Domesday Book. It belonged to the Bishop of Lincoln, Gilbert of Gand and Colegrim, and was closely linked with Ewerby Thorpe (see PRN 64255) which is mentioned as a berewic of Ewerby. The ownership of some areas of land was disputed between landowners in Ewerby and Ewerby Thorpe. Ewerby had a minimum population of 13 sokemen, 9 bordars and 4 villeins as well as Rold, Colegrim's man and a priest (this may include some people resident in Ewerby Thorpe as the two are sometimes combined in a single entry). A church is also mentioned. {1} The name Ewerby is Old Danish in origin, and means 'Ivar's farmstead or village'. The name appears in various forms, some of which may be errors, in the Domesday Book. {2} In the medieval period, Ewerby had a market held on a Thursday and also a fair held yearly on the festival day of St Andrew the Apostle (30th November). Both were granted by charter to William de la Lande on 28th September 1254 by King Henry III. {9} The wealth of the village (with Ewerby Thorpe) was assessed at £6 3s 11d in the Lay Subsidy of 1334. This figure was around average for the wapentake (Aswardhurn). {3} The Diocesan Return of 1563 lists Ewerby's population as 50 households. {4} The parish's population was still around 50 families by the late 17th/early 18th century. The parish also had a Public School and there were various charitable provisions including the providing of upper garments for two poor widows. (Note: Ewerby is listed as Iwarby in this source.) {5} By 1801, Ewerby's population was 223 people. This had risen to 508 by 1851. It fell again after this, and there were only 358 people resident in the parish by 1901. {6} The landowners of the parish from medieval times to the 19th century are discussed in Trollope's "History of Sleaford". {7} White's "Directory" briefly discusses the parish's history and also its current residents, schools and charities in 1856. {8} There were several mud-and-stud buildings in the village which have now been demolished. Two were near the church on Main Street, the other two are described simply as being on Main Street. Three were definitely still standing and photographed in the 1920s and 1930s. There was also a mud and stud pub, The Angel, which is now demolished (PRN ). There are also two mud and stud buildings still standing - 31 Main Street (PRN 64214) and also Cuckoo Cottage (unlocated), an 18th century building which is now encased although the framework is exposed internally. {10}

Sources/Archives (11)

  •  Bibliographic Reference: C.W. Foster and T. Longley. 1924. Lincolnshire Domesday and Lindsey Survey. 7/45; 24/38; 45/4; 67/1; 72/30.
  •  Bibliographic Reference: Kenneth Cameron. 1998. A Dictionary of Lincolnshire Place-Names. p 42.
  •  Article in Serial: R.E. Glasscock. 1964. 'The Lay Subsidy of 1334 for Lincolnshire' in Lincolnshire Architectural and Archaeological Society Reports and Papers. vol.10.2, p.123.
  •  Bibliographic Reference: Gerald A.J. Hodgett. 1975. Tudor Lincolnshire. p 190.
  •  Bibliographic Reference: R.E.G. Cole. 1913. Speculum Dioeceseos Lincolniensis sub Episcopis Gul: Wake et Edm: Gibson A.D.1705-1723. Part 1: Archdeaconries of Lincoln and Stow. p 71.
  •  Bibliographic Reference: William Page (ed). 1906. The Victoria County History: Lincolnshire - Volume 2. p 360.
  •  Bibliographic Reference: Edward Trollope. 1872. Sleaford and the Wapentakes of Flaxwell and Aswardhurn in the County of Lincoln. pp 360-61.
  •  Bibliographic Reference: William White. 1856. History, Gazetteer and Directory of Lincolnshire - Second Edition. pp 540-41.
  •  Website: Letters, Samantha (Dr). 2003. Gazetteer of Markets and Fairs in England and Wales to 1516: Counties and Wales. Ewerby.
  •  Bibliographic Reference: Rodney Cousins. 2000. Lincolnshire Buildings in the Mud and Stud Tradition. p 33, p44.
  •  Bibliographic Reference: Yerburgh, Dr Richard. 1825. Sketches Illustrative of the Topography and History of New and Old Sleaford. pp 203-08.



Grid reference Centred TF 12107 47346 (502m by 877m)

Related Monuments/Buildings (0)

Related Events/Activities (0)

External Links (0)

Record last edited

Mar 21 2021 8:35PM


Your feedback is welcome. If you can provide any new information about this record, please contact us.