Monument record MLI88200 - Settlement of Dorrington


The settlement of Dorrington has its origins in the early medieval period and continues to the present day

Type and Period (10)

  • (Early Medieval/Dark Age to Modern - 1000 AD to 2050 AD)
  • (Medieval - 1150 AD to 1299 AD)
  • (Medieval - 1150 AD to 1299 AD)
  • (Early Medieval/Dark Age to Medieval - 1050 AD to 1499 AD)
  • (Early Medieval/Dark Age to Medieval - 1050 AD to 1499 AD)
  • (Early Medieval/Dark Age to Medieval - 1050 AD to 1199 AD)
  • (Early Medieval/Dark Age to Medieval - 1050 AD to 1199 AD)
  • (Post Medieval - 1800 AD to 1900 AD)
  • (Post Medieval - 1800 AD to 1900 AD)
  • (Post Medieval - 1700 AD to 1900 AD)

Protected Status/Designation

  • None recorded

Full Description

PRN 63872 The name 'Dorrington' is derived from 'the farmstead, village called after or associated with Deora', from the Old English personal name 'Deora' with the Old English connective particle 'ing' and the Old English 'tun'.{1} Dorrington is first mentioned in the Domesday Book and was known at that time as 'Derintone'. At the time, there were 12 carucates of land [assessed] to the geld. There was also land for 12 teams. Geoffrey of Alesin had one team there in demesne, and 28 sokemen and 8 bordars with 7 teams. One of his men has 9 bovates of land there with 1 team. The land was worth 20 shillings. The was 160 acres of meadow, and 10 acres of underwood.{2} Dorrington or Dirrington is a long straggling village, with several good houses and stands on an eminence between and near the sources of two rivulets. It is situated five miles north of Sleaford and had 443 souls and 1881 acres of land. The Earl of Harrowby is lord of the manor, and owner of a great part of the soil, by purchase from the late Sir G. Heathcote, who sold the impropriate rectorial lands to Joseph Dent Esq. Here are also several smaller freeholders.{3} There was in the village a small chapel of ease (PRN 63900), but it was taken down in 1698, and the materials used in repairing the church. This chapel was appropriated to Shelford Priory, Nottinghamshire and the church to Haverholme Priory.{3} A close, called Play Garth, is the place where the inhabitants, after strewing the chapel floor with rushes, were wont to assemble for amusement on St Bartholomew’s day.{3}{7} There were 44 households recorded in the Diocesan Returns of 1563.{4} In the late seventeenth century there were 50 families.{5} The population in 1801 was 225, rising to 366 in 1901, peaking at 495 in 1871.{6} The population in 1872 was 467.{7} There were two mud and stud cottages in Dorrington. The first (PRN 63894) lay behind the Post Office and was demolished sometime in the early 20th century, and the other was located near the village green (PRN 63898). This building was demolished before 1986.{8} During a watching brief at Main Street (TF 07850 5286 - PRN 63872a) several pits were recorded. These features were recorded in relative isolation and could not be associated with structural activity, and so were thought to be rubbish pits. It is thought that the features may lie in the garden areas of medieval properties, where rubbish pits were likely to be located. A waterlogged feature which may have been a pond was also recorded (PRN 63872b), along with a north to south aligned ditch (PRN 63872c). The ditch was aligned at right angles to Main Street, and was thought to be a property boundary dividing two Medieval properties which fronted onto Main Street. This in turn suggests that the course of Main Street has remained relatively unchanged since Medieval times, and also indicates the possibility of further Medieval settlement evidence to the east and west along Main Street. The watching brief also recorded a Victorian wall in a foundation trench (PRN 63872d) which may be part a possible Victorian steamhouse or pumphouse. Post-medieval levelling deposits were also recorded on site.{9}{10}

Sources/Archives (10)

  •  Bibliographic Reference: Kenneth Cameron. 1998. A Dictionary of Lincolnshire Place-Names. pages 38-39.
  •  Bibliographic Reference: C.W. Foster and T. Longley. 1924. Lincolnshire Domesday and Lindsey Survey. page 194.
  •  Bibliographic Reference: Edward Trollope. 1872. Sleaford and the Wapentakes of Flaxwell and Aswardhurn in the County of Lincoln. pp. 228-233.
  •  Bibliographic Reference: Gerald A.J. Hodgett. 1975. Tudor Lincolnshire. page 190.
  •  Bibliographic Reference: R.E.G. Cole. 1913. Speculum Dioeceseos Lincolniensis sub Episcopis Gul: Wake et Edm: Gibson A.D.1705-1723. Part 1: Archdeaconries of Lincoln and Stow. page 41.
  •  Bibliographic Reference: William Page (ed). 1906. The Victoria County History: Lincolnshire - Volume 2. page 362.
  •  Bibliographic Reference: William White. 1856. History, Gazetteer and Directory of Lincolnshire - Second Edition. page 447.
  •  Bibliographic Reference: Rodney Cousins. 2000. Lincolnshire Buildings in the Mud and Stud Tradition. page 44.
  •  Report: Pre-Construct Archaeology. Nov 2000. Watching brief on Main Street, Dorrington. MSDN00.
  •  Archive: Pre-Construct Archaeology. Nov 2000. Watching brief on Main Street, Dorrington. LCNCC 200.164.



Grid reference Centred TF 0816 5293 (1071m by 454m) Centre

Related Monuments/Buildings (0)

Related Events/Activities (2)

External Links (0)

Record last edited

Mar 21 2021 8:35PM


Your feedback is welcome. If you can provide any new information about this record, please contact us.