Monument record MLI86171 - Dispersed settlement of Brothertoft


Dispersed settlement of Brothertoft

Type and Period (1)

  • (Post Medieval to Modern - 1700 AD? to 2050 AD)

Protected Status/Designation

  • None recorded

Full Description

PRN 13698 The settlement is very dispersed and therefore this record has been shown spatially as a point. The name Brothertoft is thought to have first been used around 1531. The name is thought to derive from an Old Danish personal name 'Bothir' and from the Old Norse meaning curtilage. {1} Brothertoft is in the wapentake of Kirton and was not mentioned in Domesday Book. {2} The village maintained a small but consistent population during the nineteenth century, in 1801 the population stood at 102 it rose slightly over the next century and in 1901 stood at 137. {3} White’s Directory records 123 inhabitants in 1856 and continues that the people 'where the most active rioters against the Enclosure Act of Holland Fen, on which they claimed almost unrestrained right of pasturage, fowling and fishing, but many of them lived to see their folly, in attempting to prevent a great public improvement, which ultimately benefited the poor as well as the rich'. {4} It has been suggested that Brothertoft or Toft was formerly a farming estate (vaccaria) of the abbey of Swineshead. {5} The Church at Brothertoft between 1705 and 1723 had no church minister or endowment, it only had a service every other Sunday, or later on only once a month where the officiating minister was paid 5 shillings by the parishioners. {6} Mr J. Cartwright of Brothertoft started a woad mill in the eighteenth century. This was possibly the first woad-mill that was built as a permanent structure. {7} Mr J. Cartwright 'the father of reform' built Brothertoft Hall and set up a woad processing plant on the North of the Forty Foot Drain, accompanied by a long row of cottages for the labourers. The settlement was called 'Isatica' which is Latin for woad. The settlement was short lived. {8}

Sources/Archives (8)

  •  Bibliographic Reference: Kenneth Cameron. 1998. A Dictionary of Lincolnshire Place-Names. Page 21.
  •  Bibliographic Reference: C.W. Foster and T. Longley. 1924. Lincolnshire Domesday and Lindsey Survey. Page LXXX.
  •  Bibliographic Reference: William Page (ed). 1906. The Victoria County History: Lincolnshire - Volume 2. Page 359.
  •  Bibliographic Reference: William White. 1856. History, Gazetteer and Directory of Lincolnshire - Second Edition. Page 811.
  •  Bibliographic Reference: HALLAM, H.E.. 1965. SETTLEMENT AND SOCIETY IN SOUTH LINCOLNSHIRE. Page 69.
  •  Bibliographic Reference: R.E.G. Cole. 1913. Speculum Dioeceseos Lincolniensis sub Episcopis Gul: Wake et Edm: Gibson A.D.1705-1723. Part 1: Archdeaconries of Lincoln and Stow. Page 23.
  •  Bibliographic Reference: Wills, N. T.. Woad in the Fens. Page 5.
  •  Bibliographic Reference: Southern Lindsey and the Witham Fens. Page 97.



Grid reference TF 2738 4626 (point) Approximate

Related Monuments/Buildings (0)

Related Events/Activities (0)

External Links (0)

Record last edited

Mar 21 2021 8:35PM


Your feedback is welcome. If you can provide any new information about this record, please contact us.