Monument record MLI84610 - Settlement of South Elkington


The settlement of South Elkington was first mentioned in Domesday Book, and which time North and South Elkington were taxed together. It survives to the present.

Type and Period (2)

Protected Status/Designation

  • None recorded

Full Description

44669 The settlement of South Elkington is first mentioned in the Doemsday Book, at which time it was taxed with North Elkington, and the two settlements were known as 'Archintone' or 'Alchinton'. Two manors were recorded at this time. One belonged to Ivo Taillebois, and the other belonged to William de Perci, and the minimum population at this time was 62. The former landholding also included half a church and hlaf a mill, and the latter included a church, a mill, and the site of another mill. (see 44671). The Lindsey Survey of 1115 records that land was still owned by the de Perci family in Elkington. {1} The two settlements were first mentioned separately in the twelfth century. The name means 'the farmstead, village associated with or called after Eadlac', from the Old English personal name. {2} However, the poll tax returns of 1377 again record the two settlement together. 132 people were recorded. {3} The Diocesan Returns of 1563 recorded 18 households in South Elkington, and by the early eighteenth century this had risen to around 22 families. {4}{5} In 1801 the population was 158, which rose to its nineteenth century peak of 366 in 1891, and was 355 in 1901. {6} Medieval settlement remains in the form of tofts, crofts, boundaries, ridge and furrow and enclosures have been recorded in and around the settlement. {7}

Sources/Archives (7)

  •  Bibliographic Reference: C.W. Foster and T. Longley. 1924. Lincolnshire Domesday and Lindsey Survey. 14/83; 22/28; L18/4.
  •  Bibliographic Reference: Kenneth Cameron. 1998. A Dictionary of Lincolnshire Place-Names. page 41.
  •  Bibliographic Reference: Graham Platts. 1985. Land and People in Medieval Lincolnshire. page 306.
  •  Bibliographic Reference: Gerald A.J. Hodgett. 1975. Tudor Lincolnshire. page 196.
  •  Bibliographic Reference: R.E.G. Cole. 1913. Speculum Dioeceseos Lincolniensis sub Episcopis Gul: Wake et Edm: Gibson A.D.1705-1723. Part 1: Archdeaconries of Lincoln and Stow. page 45.
  •  Bibliographic Reference: William Page (ed). 1906. The Victoria County History: Lincolnshire - Volume 2. page 372.
  •  Map: Royal Commission on the Historical Monuments of England. 1992-1996. National Mapping Programme. TF2988:LI.154.1.1-12.



Grid reference Centred TF 2956 8841 (865m by 752m)

Related Monuments/Buildings (0)

Related Events/Activities (0)

External Links (0)

Record last edited

Mar 21 2021 8:35PM


Your feedback is welcome. If you can provide any new information about this record, please contact us.