Monument record MLI84335 - The settlement of Walcot (near Folkingham)


The settlement of Walcot (near Folkingham) is first mentioned in the Domesday Book and survives to the present day

Type and Period (5)

  • (Medieval - 1200 AD to 1539 AD)
  • (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
  • (Early Medieval/Dark Age to Modern - 900 AD? to 2050 AD)
  • (Medieval to Post Medieval - 1400 AD to 1699 AD)
  • (Medieval to Post Medieval - 1400 AD to 1699 AD)

Protected Status/Designation

  • None recorded

Full Description

The name Walcot is derived from 'the cottage, hut, shelter of the Welshmen', from the genitive plural wala of Old English walh and Old English cot, indicating isolated groups of Welshmen identifiable as such in Anglo-Saxon England.{1} In Walecot (Walcot near Folkingham) Saint Peter of Burg had and has 5 carucates of land, with land for six teams. Gilbert, the abbot's man, had one team there (in demesne), and six villeins and five bordars with two teams, and a church, and fourteen sokemen on two carucates, having four teams. One moeity of the soke belongs to Saint Peter, and the other belongs to Gilbert de Gant in Folchingeham. There are 30 acres of meadow there.{2} The Lay Subsidy of 1334 records the settlement's wealth as £3 4s 8d, below average for its wapentake (Aveland).{3} In 1801 the parish had a population of 127, rising to 201 by 1861 before falling again to 129 by 1901.{4} A pleasant village on the north bank of a small rivulet, one and a half miles northwest of Falkingham, has in its parish 152 souls and 1710 acres of fertile land. Lord Aveland is lord of the manor, but part of the soil belongs to the Reverend Edward Brown and J.Downing Esq. The Church (St Nicholas) is a neat fabric, with a tower containing four bells and crowned by a lofty spire (see PRN 62271). Near the village is a chalybeate spring, formerly noted for medicinal virtues, but it lost its reputation many years ago. The poor had three acres of land at Walcot, and some also at Spanby parish, which let for £14 per annum. An additional 10 shillings came from land at Newton. The donors of these parcels were unknown. The revenue was distributed to the poor in coal.{5} Medieval earthwork remains of ridge and furrow and field boundaries. {6} During a watching brief on land at Main Street (TF0612535185), two walls were recorded. Both walls were trench built and were made from thin field stones, bonded with yellow sandy clay. One of the walls was associated with pottery sherds datng between the fifteenth and seveteenth centuries. No associated floor or occupation deposits were observed and the walls are interepreted as property and/or field boundaries, possibly associated with an extinct croft.{7}{8}

Sources/Archives (8)

  •  Bibliographic Reference: Kenneth Cameron. 1998. A Dictionary of Lincolnshire Place-Names. page 134.
  •  Bibliographic Reference: C.W. Foster and T. Longley. 1924. Lincolnshire Domesday and Lindsey Survey. 8/9, 24/93.
  •  Article in Serial: R.E. Glasscock. 1964. 'The Lay Subsidy of 1334 for Lincolnshire' in Lincolnshire Architectural and Archaeological Society Reports and Papers. vol.10.2, p.123.
  •  Bibliographic Reference: William Page (ed). 1906. The Victoria County History: Lincolnshire - Volume 2. page 360.
  •  Bibliographic Reference: William White. 1856. History, Gazetteer and Directory of Lincolnshire (Second Edition). page 724.
  •  Map: Royal Commission on the Historical Monuments of England. 1992-1996. National Mapping Programme. TF 03 SE; 0535; LI.824.10.1;12.1.
  •  Report: Pre-Construct Archaeology. 1997. Archaeological Watching Brief Report: Main Street, Walcot. ASW97.
  •  Archive: Pre-Construct Archaeology. 1997. Archaeological Watching Brief: Main Street, Walcot. LCNCC 218.97.



Grid reference Centred TF 0602 3514 (683m by 899m)

Related Monuments/Buildings (0)

Related Events/Activities (1)

External Links (0)

Record last edited

Aug 17 2022 4:34PM


Your feedback is welcome. If you can provide any new information about this record, please contact us.