Monument record MLI83395 - Settlement of Haddington


The settlement of Haddington has its origins in the late Anglo-Saxon period and survives to the present.

Type and Period (3)

Protected Status/Designation

  • None recorded

Full Description

62556 Haddington is first documented in the Domesday Book. A berewic of the manor at Aubourn is recorded as belonging to Robert de Todeni, with three and a half carucates, and two villeins (18/30). Sokeland of the manor of Doddington Pigot was located in Haddington, belonging to Baldwin the Fleming (65/1). Thirteen sokemen were recorded with three and a half teams. There was a dispute over the ownership of this land with St Peter of Westminster, who claimed all land belonging to Doddington Pigot (9/1, 65/1-5). The name Haddington means 'the farmstead, village associated with or called after Had(d)a, from the Old English personal name. The moated complex at Hall Close lies to the south of the present village, where activity has been recorded from the Anglo-Saxon period (see 60267). {1}{2} The Lay Subsidy Rolls documented 8 tax payers in 1332. {3} Seven households were recorded in 1563. {4} Earthworks in the field south of Bridge Farm and in one adjacent field may represent medieval settlement remains. {5} Ridge and furrow earthwork remains are visible on aerial photographs. {6}{7} In the late seventeenth and early eighteenth century 52 families were recorded In Haddington and South Hykeham. {8} The population in 1801 was 93, and fell to 44 in 1901, peaking in 1831 at 123. {9}

Sources/Archives (9)

  •  Bibliographic Reference: C.W. Foster and T. Longley. 1924. Lincolnshire Domesday and Lindsey Survey. lxxix, 18/30, 35/1, 72/27.
  •  Bibliographic Reference: Kenneth Cameron. 1998. A Dictionary of Lincolnshire Place-Names. page 56.
  •  Unpublished Document: Wilson, J.W.. 1994. Haddington Gleanings. -.
  •  Bibliographic Reference: Gerald A.J. Hodgett. 1975. Tudor Lincolnshire. p.189.
  •  Index: North Kesteven. Aubourn, Haddington and South Hykeham. NK 5.18.
  •  Map: Royal Commission on the Historical Monuments of England. 1992-1996. National Mapping Programme. SK9061:LI.705.2.1, 1995.
  •  Aerial Photograph: COLE, C.. 1993-2002. InnerVisions Business Presentations. 279/0699/12 (31/5/99); 238/0598/13,14 (17/5/98).
  •  Bibliographic Reference: R.E.G. Cole. 1913. Speculum Dioeceseos Lincolniensis sub Episcopis Gul: Wake et Edm: Gibson A.D.1705-1723. Part 1: Archdeaconries of Lincoln and Stow. p.64.
  •  Bibliographic Reference: William Page (ed). 1906. The Victoria County History: Lincolnshire - Volume 2. p.362.



Grid reference Centred SK 9150 6301 (654m by 611m)

Related Monuments/Buildings (0)

Related Events/Activities (1)

External Links (0)

Record last edited

Mar 21 2021 8:35PM


Your feedback is welcome. If you can provide any new information about this record, please contact us.