Monument record MLI82432 - The settlement of Benniworth


The settlement of Benniworth is first mentioned in Domesday, and survives to the present day

Type and Period (3)

Protected Status/Designation

  • None recorded

Full Description

PRN 44234 The settlement of Benniworth, in the wapentake of Wraggoe, has two entries in the Domesday Survey and one in the Lindsey Survey. The main landholder at the time of Domesday was the Archbishop of York, who held a manor. Godwin had two carucates of land assessed to the geld. There was land for three and a half teams, which Osbern the priest had of the Archbishop. There was a church, one mill and sixty acres of meadow. The second largest landholder was Ivo Taillebois, with two manors. Siward and Turgot had three and a half carucates of land assessed to the geld, and there were 140 acres of meadow. The entry for the Lindsey Survey has the Archbishop of York having two carucates and four bovates held by Richard of Lincoln, and Ranulf Mischin holding three carucates and four bovates.{1} The place-name Benniworth derives from 'Beningurde', 'Benigworda' or 'Beniguorda', thought to mean 'the enclosure of the Be(o)nningas', from the Old English group-name 'the family/dependents of Be(o)nna' and the Old English 'worth'.{2}{3} The 1377 Poll Tax Returns for the South Riding of Lindsey recorded 126 returns, giving a minimum population of 126 people for the settlement at that time.{4} By 1563, the Diocesan Returns recorded 42 households in Benniworth.{5} In 1761, there were 27 occupiers with farms or holdings from 339 to 3 acres, this having dropped to fifteen by 1836.{6} In the 1801 census, there were 277 people recorded, peaking at 488 people in 1841, and dropping to 296 by 1901.{7} The parish was enclosed by Act of Parliament in 1771.{8} Physical evidence for the medieval settlement is in the form of ridge and furrow and field boundaries north-west of the village. The post-medieval period is represented by earthwork ditches, a mound and a field boundary.{9}{10}{11}

Sources/Archives (11)

  •  Bibliographic Reference: C.W. Foster and T. Longley. 1924. Lincolnshire Domesday and Lindsey Survey. 2/16, 14/58, L16/4, 10.
  •  Bibliographic Reference: Kenneth Cameron. 1998. A Dictionary of Lincolnshire Place-Names. pages 13-14.
  •  Bibliographic Reference: Ekwall, E.. 1960. Concise Oxford Dictionary of English Place-Names - Fourth Edition. p.37.
  •  Bibliographic Reference: Graham Platts. 1985. Land and People in Medieval Lincolnshire. Appendix II.
  •  Bibliographic Reference: Gerald A.J. Hodgett. 1975. Tudor Lincolnshire. p.198.
  •  Bibliographic Reference: Beastall, T W. 1978. Agricultural Revolution in Lincolnshire. p. 115.
  •  Bibliographic Reference: William Page (ed). 1906. The Victoria County History: Lincolnshire - Volume 2. p. 375.
  •  Map: Royal Commission on the Historical Monuments of England. 1992-1996. National Mapping Programme. TF2082 LI.208.2.1; 3.1; 4.1; 5.1; 6.1; LI.214.3.1; 5.1; 6.1; 7.1.
  •  Aerial Photograph: Hunting Surveys Ltd. 1971-2. Hunting Surveys Aerial Photography. HSL UK 72 59 Run 21 0903-05.
  •  Aerial Photograph: COLE, C.. 1993-2002. InnerVisions Business Presentations. 258/1198/22 29/11/1998.



Grid reference Centred TF 2068 8199 (1374m by 1595m)

Related Monuments/Buildings (0)

Related Events/Activities (0)

External Links (0)

Record last edited

Mar 21 2021 8:35PM


Your feedback is welcome. If you can provide any new information about this record, please contact us.