Monument record MLI82411 - Settlement of Long Bennington


The settlement of Long Bennington probably has its origins in the Anglo-Saxon period and survives to the present.

Type and Period (3)

Protected Status/Designation

  • None recorded

Full Description

35499 The name 'Bennington' is derived from Old English and means 'the farmstead, village associated with or called after Be(o)nna' from the Old English personal name. The second element 'ing' and 'tun' denotes a long straggling village. It is first documented in the Domesday Book, when Count Alan owned a large and thriving manor there. There were four mills rendering 4 pounds, and a church and a priest. There was also a berewic and sokeland of a manor in Carlton Scroop, which belonged to William de Warrenne. There was a minimum population at that time of about 49. {1}{2} In 1563 97 households were recorded, and by the eighteenth century there were about 195 families in Long Bennington and surrounding settlements. {3}{4} In 1801 the population was 723, which grew to 1100 in 1851, but had fallen again by 1901 to 737. {5} Medieval earthwork ridge and furrow has been recorded as surviving as earthworks at the edge of the village, mostly to the south around the A1. {6} The ridge and furrow earthworks south of the village have since been destroyed by ploughing. The limits of a surviving fragment have been mapped as part of the SHINE project. {7}

Sources/Archives (7)

  •  Bibliographic Reference: Kenneth Cameron. 1984. The Place-Names of Lincolnshire, Part 1. 1. page 13.
  •  Bibliographic Reference: C.W. Foster and T. Longley. 1924. Lincolnshire Domesday and Lindsey Survey. 12/49, 15/2, 72/38.
  •  Bibliographic Reference: Gerald A.J. Hodgett. 1975. Tudor Lincolnshire. page 190.
  •  Bibliographic Reference: R.E.G. Cole. 1913. Speculum Dioeceseos Lincolniensis sub Episcopis Gul: Wake et Edm: Gibson A.D.1705-1723. Part 1: Archdeaconries of Lincoln and Stow. page 13.
  •  Bibliographic Reference: William Page (ed). 1906. The Victoria County History: Lincolnshire - Volume 2. page 363.
  •  Map: Royal Commission on the Historical Monuments of England. 1992-1996. National Mapping Programme. SK8343:NT.235.28.1, 29.1, LI.745.2.2.
  •  Website: Google. 2006->. Google Maps and Street View.



Grid reference Centred SK 8383 4445 (1295m by 2087m)

Related Monuments/Buildings (0)

Related Events/Activities (1)

External Links (0)

Record last edited

Mar 21 2021 8:35PM


Your feedback is welcome. If you can provide any new information about this record, please contact us.