Monument record MLI70159 - Site of the Holy Innocents leper hospital, South Park, Lincoln


Site of the Holy Innocents leper hospital (also known as the Malandry), South Park, Lincoln

Type and Period (6)

Protected Status/Designation

Full Description

The hospital of the Holy Innocents or the Malandry was founded in the early 12th century, probably by Henry I, and may well be the earliest foundation of its kind in the county. It was intended to receive 10 lepers of either sex, under the charge of a warden and two chaplains. It is recorded as having a church, as well as several houses built on 'La Grene'. Its precise location is uncertain, but the plot of land occupied by Bernadette House and Queens Park School may represent the original area of encroachment onto South Common by this hospital. A stone coffin, found when the railway was built, and finds of disarticulated human skeletal remains from the side of the cutting are presumed to come from the churchyard. {1}{2}{3}{4}{5} During an evaluation on the site a pit containing 12th-13th century pottery was recorded. A ditch aligned roughly at right angles to the main road, again dating to the early-mid 13th century, is thought to represent the former westward extent of the Malandry graveyard. {6}{7} It has been suggested that the hospital was founded by Bishop Remigius before 1092. The hospital was independent but may have been influenced by the Knights of Lazarus, an order that was often associated with leper hospitals. It certainly came under their control when it was granted to the Master of Burton Lazars Hospital by the King in 1456. The hospital had accommodation for 20 lepers, 10 of each sex, and each cell appears to have had its own hearth and a 'curtilage' which was presumably a garden plot. There were numerous complaints against the hospital regarding matters such as rooms being rented out to others when there were few lepers resident and houses being built on the hospital lands. The hospital was allowed to graze stock on South Common (PRN 70602). After the Dissolution the site fell into private ownership. It is not known when the buildings were destroyed although they seem to have gone by the 18th century or possibly earlier. The site of the buildings, including the church, are shown on some 19th century maps. In 1972 a hoard of almost 750 early 12th century coins was found during groundworks associated with the former South Park school and it is thought that this find may be associated with the hospital. {8}

Sources/Archives (8)

  •  Bibliographic Reference: William Page (ed). 1906. The Victoria County History: Lincolnshire - Volume 2. pp.230-2.
  •  Index: Lincolnshire County Council. Sites and Monuments Record Card Index. SK 96 NE: B.
  •  Index: Ordnance Survey. Ordnance Survey Card Index. SK 96 NE: 15.
  •  Article in Serial: 1856. Associated Architectural and Archaeological Societies’ Reports and Papers. vol.VIII, p.xi and fig.
  •  Article in Serial: BROOKS F W. 1935. Associated Architectural and Archaeological Societies’ Reports and Papers. vol.42, pp.157-88.
  •  Report: Lindsey Archaeological Services. 1997. Bernadette House, South Park, Lincoln: Archaeological Evaluation. LSP97.
  •  Archive: Lindsey Archaeological Services. 1997. Bernadette House, South Park, Lincoln: Archaeological Evaluation. LCNCC 227.97.
  •  Report: English Heritage. 2005. South Common, Lincoln: An Archaeological Investigation of an Urban Open Space. -.



Grid reference Centred SK 9729 6954 (177m by 302m)

Related Monuments/Buildings (0)

Related Events/Activities (2)

External Links (0)

Record last edited

Jul 27 2022 3:24PM


Your feedback is welcome. If you can provide any new information about this record, please contact us.