Monument record MLI41254 - The Settlement of Alvingham


The settlement of Alvingham has its origins in the Anglo-Saxon period and continues to the present day.

Type and Period (6)

Protected Status/Designation

  • None recorded

Full Description

The name of Alvingham was recorded as Alvingeham in 1086 and is dervied from the Old English group name 'AElfingas' and 'ham', which is interpreted as the homestead or estate of the followers/dependents of AElf. {1} Domesday records that 1 carucate of land belongs to the manor at Gayton le Wold, which is owned by the King. The Bishop of Bayeux has 1 carucate of land. The manor at Alvingham is owned by Alfred of Lincoln with 1.5 carucates. Rainer de Brimou has 4 bovates of land. There is a minimum population of 24. In the Lindsey survey 1115, the Count of Brittany owned 1 carucate and 2.33 bovates; Hugh de Vallo has 3.5 bovates; and Ralf de Criol has 2.5 bovates. {2} The lay subsidy returns for Alvingham in 1334 were £2 14s 4d, which was less than the average return for Louthesk wapentake, implying that it was a less prosperous parish at this time. {3} 90 persons were paying the poll tax in Alvingham parish in 1377. {4} In 1563 there were 30 households. {5} In the early 18th century, the population rose from 27 families to more than 30 families and there was 1 Roman Catholic family in the parish. {6} In 1801 the population was 214, rising to 353 in 1871 and falling again to 249 in 1901. {7} Extensive earthworks have been noted in and around the village of Alvingham. Evidence for tofts, crofts and strip fields seen from aerial photographs spreading out from present village area. An undated rectangular enclosure is at TF 3635 9260. {8}{9}{10} Earthworks of likely medieval date were identified on aerial photographs by the National Mapping Programme. These included: Enclosures (PRN 41254a-h: TF 3650 9138, TF 3604 9153, TF 3605 9151, TF 3603 9138, TF 3615 9146, TF 3596 9140, TF 3595 9144 and TF 3591 9143) Linear features (PRN 41254i-j: TF3661 9144 and TF 3635 9141) Boundary (PRN 41254k - TF 3634 9134) Boundary bank (PRN 41254l - TF 3611 9135) Pond (PRN 41254m - TF 3652 9133). {11}

Sources/Archives (11)

  •  Bibliographic Reference: Kenneth Cameron. 1998. A Dictionary of Lincolnshire Place-Names. p.2.
  •  Bibliographic Reference: C.W. Foster and T. Longley. 1924. Lincolnshire Domesday and Lindsey Survey. 1/88 4/58 27/22-3 40/25 L18/1 L18/12-3.
  •  Article in Serial: R.E. Glasscock. 1964. 'The Lay Subsidy of 1334 for Lincolnshire' in Lincolnshire Architectural and Archaeological Society Reports and Papers. vol.10.2, p.130.
  •  Bibliographic Reference: Graham Platts. 1985. Land and People in Medieval Lincolnshire.
  •  Bibliographic Reference: Gerald A.J. Hodgett. 1975. Tudor Lincolnshire. p.195.
  •  Bibliographic Reference: R.E.G. Cole. 1913. Speculum Dioeceseos Lincolniensis sub Episcopis Gul: Wake et Edm: Gibson A.D.1705-1723. Part 1: Archdeaconries of Lincoln and Stow. p.3.
  •  Bibliographic Reference: William Page (ed). 1906. The Victoria County History: Lincolnshire - Volume 2. p.371.
  •  Index: SMR FILE. ALVINGHAM. TF 39 SE:A -.
  •  Aerial Photograph: ST JOSEPH, J.K.S.. 1945-79. CAMBRIDGE UNIVERSITY COLLECTION. FO 38-40, 1951.
  •  Aerial Photograph: ST JOSEPH, J.K.S.. 1945-79. CAMBRIDGE UNIVERSITY COLLECTION. FV 11-12, 1951.
  •  Map: Royal Commission on the Historical Monuments of England. 1992-1996. National Mapping Programme. TF3691: LI.365.2.1-7 & 10-11, TF3591: LI.365.2.8-9.



Grid reference Centred TF 3624 9134 (796m by 585m) Estimated from sources

Related Monuments/Buildings (1)

Related Events/Activities (0)

External Links (0)

Record last edited

Mar 21 2021 8:35PM


Your feedback is welcome. If you can provide any new information about this record, please contact us.