Monument record MLI34718 - Carlby Settlement


Carlby settlement has its origins in the Medieval period and survives to the present day.

Type and Period (6)

Protected Status/Designation

  • None recorded

Full Description

Carlby is first recorded in Domesday, although the name is thought to have its origins in Old Norse. The name means 'the farmstead, village of the free peasants' or ‘Karli's Farmstead’. {1} Carlby is in the Wapentake of Ness and at the time of Domesday it had three manors recorded. The population stood at this time at approximately 40 families. {2} The Diocesan Returns of 1563 list Carlby as having 17 households. {3} In the early 18th century the population stood at 25 families, with one Quaker family. {4} In 1801 the population was 162, it rose steadily until it peaked in 1851 with a population of 349, it then dropped sharply and only a decade later in 1861 the population had fallen to 183. The population then continued to fall and by 1901 the population was a mere 103. {5} A pronounced sunken way was photographed in 1981 to the west of the present village, running south from the east to west road down to the bottom of the hill slope. It probably continued north of this road, but has been bulldozed (1981) and filled in. Colour slides taken on a visit by Hilary Healey. A possible shrunken medieval village site. In 1989 the earthworks were visited again and have been extensively ploughed. SK 17-09. {6}{7}{8}{9} Earthworks of medieval ridge and furrow have been identified Just to the north of the present village. {10} Earthworks were observed in the fields to the east of 'The Elms' on the west side of Church Street (TF 0485 1400). There is no clear pattern, but these are probably house platforms. {11}{12} An L-shaped bank and ditch and forked road consisting of small limestone cobbles set on end (found while gardening about 6 ins below the surface). The field is known locally as 'Hall Field' and is possibly the site of a manor house and approaches. The site was levelled for building in 1965 (TF 0510 1390). {13}{14}{15} During a watching brief at TF 0512 1394 six sherds of medieval pottery were recovered from the topsoil of the site. {16}{17}

Sources/Archives (17)

  •  Bibliographic Reference: Kenneth Cameron. 1998. A Dictionary of Lincolnshire Place-Names. p.28.
  •  Report: Archaeological Project Services. April 2003. Archaeological Watching Brief at Elm Tree Cottage, Marsh Lane, Burgh-Le-Marsh. LXXX111; 7/38; 24/33; 59/4.
  •  Bibliographic Reference: Gerald A.J. Hodgett. 1975. Tudor Lincolnshire. p.192.
  •  Bibliographic Reference: R.E.G. Cole. 1913. Speculum Dioeceseos Lincolniensis sub Episcopis Gul: Wake et Edm: Gibson A.D.1705-1723. Part 1: Archdeaconries of Lincoln and Stow. p.29.
  •  Bibliographic Reference: William Page (ed). 1906. The Victoria County History: Lincolnshire - Volume 2. p.364.
  •  Verbal Communication: HEALEY, R.H.. 1989. -.
  •  Verbal Communication: HEALEY, R.H.. 1981. -.
  •  Photograph: HEALEY, R.H.. 1981. CARLBY SMV. -.
  •  Aerial Photograph: Paul Everson. 1975-90. RCHM. 944/01, TF 0413/1, 1975.
  •  Map: Royal Commission on the Historical Monuments of England. 1992-1996. National Mapping Programme. TF01SW LI769.1-11.
  •  Index: Parish card index of the former South Lincolnshire Archaeology Unit. CARLBY. -sk 17. 11-.
  •  Verbal Communication: HURLEY T. 1990. -.
  •  Index: Lincolnshire County Council. Sites and Monuments Record Card Index. TF 01 SE: K.
  •  Correspondence: 1953. PARISH FILE. -.
  •  Photograph: 1965. OLD HALL, CARLBY. -.
  •  Report: Archaeological Project Services. 2004. 28 High Street, Carlby. CLS03.
  •  Archive: Archaeological Project Services. 2004. 28 High Street, Carlby. LCNCC:2003.352.



Grid reference Centred TF 0486 1397 (844m by 454m)

Related Monuments/Buildings (0)

Related Events/Activities (1)

External Links (0)

Record last edited

Mar 21 2021 8:35PM


Your feedback is welcome. If you can provide any new information about this record, please contact us.