Building record MLI23570 - Thornholm Grange, Low Fulney


An 18th century house with medieval origins. Also known as Vetchery Farm, Low Fulney House, and Offices of the Land Settlement Association.

Type and Period (4)

  • (Medieval - 1250 AD? to 1539 AD)
  • (Medieval - 1250 AD? to 1539 AD)
  • (Post Medieval to Mid 20th Century - 1550 AD? to 1936 AD?)
  • (Mid 20th Century to 21st Century - 1936 AD? to 2050 AD)

Protected Status/Designation

Full Description

Thornholm Grange lies approximately 2 km east of Spalding and the River Welland on flat alluvial land rendered fertile by artificial drainage. The area was one of a number reclaimed for agriculture by the Benedictine monks of Spalding priory under the direction of Prior Clement of Hatfield in the late 13th and early 14th century. There are said to have been traces of a moat and fishpond associated with the site. It was a vaccary or cattle-ranch. {1}{2} An 18th century house with medieval origins, it contains early brickwork on its north-eastern side and medieval vaulted rooms at the south-eastern end. The building is supposed to have served as the dairy of Spalding Priory. It is a colour washed brick building of two storeys, with a slate roof and gabled ends. There are four bays and 19th century one-and-two light sash windows with glazing bars. There is a gabled wing to the rear. In the south-east end and in the single storey wing at the south-east end there are two medieval vaulted rooms at ground floor level. The wing is rendered and has a gabled-ended roof with new tiles; also a small moulded stone window at the south end (blocked). The corners are buttressed. The rooms have brick rib vaults with chamfered ribs, but the north room's vaulting has been boarded over. For the full description and the legal address of this listed building please refer to the appropriate List of Buildings of Special Architectural or Historic Interest. {3} The earliest identifiable phase of the present building probably dates from the 15th century. This is a two-storey brick structure in three bays with a vaulted ground floor. The south and central vaulted bays survive intact, and there are fragmentary remains of the northern bay, including a possible section of the north wall. One chamfered stone jamb of the original entrance remains, located in the west wall of the central bay. A large fireplace in the east wall of the central vaulted bay may be contemporary. In the late 16th century, the building was extended and partially rebuilt to provide domestic accommodation on two floors. The latter included a new fourth bay at the north end, which was appears to have been extensively rebuilt in the mid to late 19th century. {4} The interior and exterior of the building is shown in a series of photographs, taken during a site visit in August 2006. {5} Further photographs of the interior and exterior were taken in January 2011, during another site visit to assess the building's condition. {6}

Sources/Archives (6)

  •  Bibliographic Reference: HALLAM, H.E.. 1965. SETTLEMENT AND SOCIETY IN SOUTH LINCOLNSHIRE. p.153.
  •  Bibliographic Reference: Nikolaus Pevsner and John Harris, with Nicholas Antram. 1989. Buildings of England: Lincolnshire (Second Edition). p.679.
  •  Index: Department of the Environment. 1975. List of Buildings of Special Architectural or Historic Interest. 2/230.
  •  Report: Royal Commission on the Historical Monuments of England. 1995. Thornholm Grange, off Kellet Lane, Low Fulney. -.
  •  Photograph: Beryl Lott. 2006. Photographs of Thornholm Grange, Low Fulney, Spalding. Print. -.
  •  Photograph: Lincolnshire County Council. 2011. Photographs of Thornholm Grange, Low Fulney, Spalding. Digital. -.



Grid reference Centred TF 27124 22358 (17m by 21m) Surveyed

Related Monuments/Buildings (1)

Related Events/Activities (5)

External Links (0)

Record last edited

Mar 21 2021 8:35PM


Your feedback is welcome. If you can provide any new information about this record, please contact us.